Why become a member? ×

Help!

pennywisdom

hi, wondering if anyone on here could help. i have an ampeg b2r head and an ampeg 6x10 cab just never seem to get it very loud at all. admittedly the 2 guitarists in the band have theirs really loud and the drummer really smashes the drums but i constantly have to have the volume on full! and its still drowned out by the guitarist's half stacks. im not very knowledgable on the working on an amp so was wondering for any advice at all coz im sure it shudnt be a problem with that gear. is it something to do with the ohms 4/8 etc??

thanks
dave

What's the power rating of the amp and the power handling of the cab. Also what is the minimum ohm rating of the head, and the ohm rating of the cab.

If for example it's a 300w head that can run down to 4 ohms, and your cab is rated at 600w and 8 ohms, you're only going to be getting approx half of the full power out of your head. If you ran 2 x 300w cabs, both rated at 8 ohms, that would bring the total impedance down to 4 ohms allowing the amp to run at full power.

Hope this helps.

Edited by yorick

Your Ampeg head should be giving out its full 350 watts output into your cabinet, assuming the 6x10 is 4 ohms which I believe they are.
(Into an 8 ohm cab the head would only put out around 200 watts).
The Ampeg 6x10 cabs are pretty good/loud, so if this is n't loud enough then it looks like you may need a new amp head/rig.

Better still get the rest of them to play at a more realistic level-easier on your wallet and ears too.

I'd try some different EQing before spending any money. If you're boosting the lows, you could be using a lot of power making everything shake whilst not really doing much that you can hear well in the mix.

If you start with everything at 12 o'clock, then boost mids this will help you to cut through. Boosting the low mids will help you cut through lots better than boosting lows, whilst boosting high mids will give you more clarity.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='casapete' post='716736' date='Jan 18 2010, 04:31 PM']The Ampeg 6x10 cabs are pretty good/loud, so if this is n't loud enough then it looks like you may need a new amp head/rig.[/quote]
.....or tell your guitards to feckin turn down

oh wait