Why become a member? ×

Electrical Issues

chantelle

i got my new bass off the internet last week, everything was fine with it until friday night when there was no sound coming out the amp, i tried on another amp the same thing was happening.

does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is? or if it could be expensive to get fixed or a quick cheap joby?

Batteries second....

Edit: Hmmm. is it that 374 in your avatar that you're have troubles with?... let me tell you a story...

I bought my 375 a few years ago now (when they were fairly new to the market) was looking for a 5er and it ticked all the boxes for QC, sound, cheapness etc. Anyway got it home and it was dead. New batteries, still dead. Through the stage amp, Dead. Friends house, Dead. Bugger. Back to shop. Works fine! Cue major embarassment. Got home. Dead.... to cut the story short it turned out after a lot of head scratching that the jack plug standard is not as standard as it should be and in fact the distance from the tip to the small plastic insulator can vary by 2-3mm between manufacturers of the various plugs and sockets and the lead that I was using was shorting out the tip, the connection to the battery and the ground wire on the yam. It didn't do it to a friends active bass, so we deduced that the lead was at one end of the acceptable range and the jack socket in the yam was at the other.

Different lead = problem solved.

Then again it might be something else entirely :)

Edited by SteveO

More than likely just a duff battery - some active circuits won't let any sound out at all if the battery is run down. After that, could be the cable and failing that the wiring to the jack on the bass.

Check out the simple stuff first, 99% of the time it's these things that catch you out.

If the bass is active, don't forget you need to unplug once you've finished - leaving the lead plugged into the bass will run the battery down.

logic chain.

plug a guitar lead into an amp input. turn on the amp with volume up a few notches, not full or even halfway. touch the end pin. should hear a hum.

if you don't hear a hum, try lead in second amp that you indicate you have. touch end again. if still no hum, problem is likely to be the lead, as it's unlikley both amps are faulty (unless you have reason to suspect them too).

If you get a hum from the end pin of the lead in either amp, the problem is either an intermittent fault with the lead or the bass itself.

move the lead around. goes on/off ? - it's the lead.

if hum is constant, the problem is that the bass is not sending a signal out.

problem is now isolated to the bass.

hope this helps

T

[quote name='Moos3h' post='716163' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:10 PM']More than likely just a duff battery - some active circuits won't let any sound out at all if the battery is run down. After that, could be the cable and failing that the wiring to the jack on the bass.

Check out the simple stuff first, 99% of the time it's these things that catch you out.

If the bass is active, don't forget you need to unplug once you've finished - leaving the lead plugged into the bass will run the battery down.[/quote]

is this even if the amps turned off and also switched off at the wall that the battery will still run down?

Edited by chantelle

[quote name='chantelle' post='716181' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:23 PM']is this even if the amps turned off and also switched off at the wall that the battery will still run down?[/quote]

the pin itself makes the connection, therefore yes, if the lead is plugged in to the bass, your battery is being drained

T

[quote name='chantelle' post='716181' date='Jan 18 2010, 12:23 AM']is this even if the amps turned off and also switched off at the wall that the battery will still run down?[/quote]
yup. with the lead plugged into the bass the circuit is on draining the battery.

As its been a few posts whilst I was doin the edit then check my 1st post again for some potentially useful info :)

[quote name='SteveO' post='716189' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:29 PM']yup. with the lead plugged into the bass the circuit is on draining the battery.

As its been a few posts whilst I was doin the edit then check my 1st post again for some potentially useful info :)[/quote]

and what he said too in the first post

[quote name='SteveO' post='716189' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:29 PM']yup. with the lead plugged into the bass the circuit is on draining the battery.

As its been a few posts whilst I was doin the edit then check my 1st post again for some potentially useful info :rolleyes:[/quote]

useful story :). ive tried 3 different leads and its all no sound so i guess its got to be the battery as ive been leaving the lead plugged in since last monday night!

[quote name='chantelle' post='716202' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:41 PM']useful story :). ive tried 3 different leads and its all no sound so i guess its got to be the battery as ive been leaving the lead plugged in since last monday night![/quote]

a battery on off switch cures that :rolleyes: