Why become a member? ×

Running my amp through the PA- not sure what's going on

Old Horse Murphy

I'm looking for a bit of help here as I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong.

We had a gig last night and found that we had to set up across quite a long wall. As we normally just play through the backline and have vocals through the PA we thought it might be an idea to have a bit of guitar and bass through the PA just to spread the sound a bit more evenly in to the room.

The guitar was easy enough to rig up from the back of my guitarist's Marshall combo, but my bass didn't seem to work. I use a Markbass LMK and had my cabs running fine, but when I attached the XLR lead to the line out at the back, there was no sound coming out through the PA. Is this something fundamental that I'm doing wrong, or could there possibly be a fault from the Line Out socket? The Mixing desk we were using last night was a Yamaha MG124cx.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

I'll throw out some obvious questions:

There's a LINE OUT control on the front of the LMK - does this control the output of the XLR line out on the back?

You ran an XLR cable from the LINE OUT on the back of the LMK to one of the inputs on the MG124?

Does the MG124's phantom power need to be on?

Does the LMK's GND LIFT switch need to be engaged?

Mark

I had a LMII with the same problem the 1st time I used the DI. Opened it up and found the connector for the DI's XLR had popped off (it was very obvious). Pushed it back on and it worked fine from then on. Am guessing it had worked loose in transit, or it had slipped through QC...:)

I'm not au fait with Mark Bass stuff, but XLR on a head to line in on a mixer should just work (given the checks Phaedrus advises)

I'd question whether the approach is sound though...

Blending some backline with some (small) PA to 'spread the sound out' is more likely to mess the sound up - particularly at the low end.

Nick.
It sounds like something is wrong.
I use the XLR out on my MB heads in to our Yamaha desk, or my other bands small Peavey PA. with the LMII it should just work, there isnt anything to mess around with at the amp end.

For what its worth i use a XLR to jack as the signal out of the MB heads is a line level and not mic so can be a bit hot.