Why become a member? ×

using Logic Express

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Howdy! I have the above ,and am determined to put it to good use.
I'm gonna be using the book 'Logic pro8 creating and producing professional music' by David Nahmani.

Now ,I'm no professional (nor will I be) . I'm a semi-beginner.

The thoughts and questions I have are :Why do all these recording interfaces involve graphs?
(years ago, in the day of audiocassette,peak meters were the way forward.Simples!)

Is it better to go to a course instead,on a 1-1 basis?

Work /tiredness/laziness gets in the way,and I keep stop/starting.

I'm a simple lad, 4 strings ,sometimes 5 . Effects sometimes,and an amp.

Of course ,I'm using a mac mini ,which Logic is on ,but thats as technical as it gets.. :)

Cheers

Dont let graphs and things get in the way mate.

In the past I have set up a basic template to start off , ie , couple of audio tracks , couple of instrument tracks etc.

I find the biggest problem with any of the programmes is maintaining the inspiration of ideas.

Logic is I find is very good at keeping you going. Just keep putting as many ideas down as you want , you can always come back and edit later.

I call my efforts Dabbles , so in the current folder I'm up to Dabble 70 .

This guy [url="http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinja"]http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinja[/url]

is an extremely talented person who has found the time to share some of his knowledge , and bloody good on im I say!

Have fun

Cheers Nigel :)

On Internet you can find several tutorial, as Plumbob already suggested you.

And the program are pretty much similar to "old-style" workflow... You can just record and stop...

Then if you want you can go deeply in editing process.

Of course for the best results you have to be a sound-engineer, but to obtain good quality works (also professional quality) you just need to practice and it's not so difficult with modern technique...

To start Logic Express is amazing.

For sound-designer work (theater, soundtracks, video, etc...) I use Logic Studio and Final Cut Studio.

The Express versions works however pretty well and for standard editing they do almost the same job of the pro versions (of course you will have less formats, less options, etc... but for a standard editing they are nearly the same).

Logic Studio suites features very good programs for creating even your own cd.
Sometimes you need to work with several programs... I give you an example: in one of your tracks you have a noise. If you use the Logic Studio denoiser you will be quite disappointed (or better to say, I am).
So, a good way is to export your track and open it with Soundtrack Pro... Then select a small part of the track where there is the noise (for example before starting playing in the silence, where the noise is alone) and then select "Select Print noise" and then "Denoise"...

In this way you will have a quite good denoise option...

Logic Studio is a wonderfull suite for its price (here in Italy 500 euros, I think in USA 500$), and you will have inside quite good plugin (IR reverbs, good mastering suite, etc...).

Just start doing your recording and you will learn, just read articles and tutorials...

The best way to learn is to do...

Thanks for your advice folks! (more needed). Will look at that you tube clip later :)
Today , I followed book. It's a pain at the moment. (most loops not playing! ) Looking for the basic controls
is awkward as well,as it's more aimed at logic pro.

Will persist, and give my good friend a call who gave it to me as a present.

Aaaargh!

Hey Ray

all good advice here, I'd like to add a couple more suggestions, the first is that I did one the instore Apple courses last year, it costs about £80 for a year but that's for a session a week if you have the time to do that - more details here: [url="http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/"]http://www.apple.com/retail/onetoone/[/url]

Secondly there's a brilliant guy on Youtube called SFLogicninja, put his name into the search box on YT and look at the stack of videos on his channel, he covers just about everything I think he's great, but there are shed lads more help vids on YouTube so search around and you'll find them.

Personally I started with Garageband and then moved to Logic pro after a couple of years, the cool thing is that you can open any Garageband project in Logic and so if you have any previous tunes in GB then load one up in Logic and that should get u going. GB is a much more basic version of Logic but does have all the functionality of it, so you can still use MIDI, automation, and a ton of instrument and effects plugins - if Logic is still too daunting get going in GB then move over to Logic when your confidence is better.

Hope that helps

Mike

Thanking you all for your input. One question I do have tho':
I'm on logic express 7 The layout is different to logic pro. and different from the tutorial book I mentioned.
Is it worth upgrading to logic express9 ,and if I do so,is the layout the same as logic pro 8 /9?
(i understand it's the express version,and iI don't need all of the other features yet)

Please advise

Cheers

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='715218' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:31 PM']Thanking you all for your input. One question I do have tho':
I'm on logic express 7 The layout is different to logic pro. and different from the tutorial book I mentioned.
Is it worth upgrading to logic express9 ,and if I do so,is the layout the same as logic pro 8 /9?
(i understand it's the express version,and iI don't need all of the other features yet)

Please advise

Cheers[/quote]

Having had a quick look on the web , go and have a look on the apple site, it looks as if with version Express 8 & 9 they have tried to standardise the interface main arrange screen.

So the basic look and feel is as Logic 8 & 9 , there isn't much missing other than less plug-ins effects, software instruments , and a smaller sample library .

All the other things that with Logic you probably dont need yet !

Heres the link to the EXpress 8 pdf manual

[url="http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Logic_Express_8_Instruments_and_Effects.pdf"]http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Logic_Exp...and_Effects.pdf[/url]

I think I saw the upgrade from Express 7 to 9 on amazon for about £54 . its either that or get hold of a student to see if he can get you Logic for a cheap price then you will have the lot , and you can spend hours confusing yourself, its all good

good fun!!! :)

Thanks for that. I 'll probably have to get from Apple tho' ,as I'm mac and the cheaper
ones are pc. Geetting annoyed when my tutorial book refers to loops
that are not on version 7 . Either my files are corrupted ,or it's just basic loops.

I did checkout that guys you tube site,but what I'm after isn't on there (ie beginning logic 7 etc)
Maybe it's just me :)

Will probably order upgrade to logic 9 tomorrow.

Cheers for now

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='716022' date='Jan 17 2010, 09:27 PM']Thanks for that. I 'll probably have to get from Apple tho' ,as I'm mac and the cheaper
ones are pc. Geetting annoyed when my tutorial book refers to loops
that are not on version 7 . Either my files are corrupted ,or it's just basic loops.

I did checkout that guys you tube site,but what I'm after isn't on there (ie beginning logic 7 etc)
Maybe it's just me :)

Will probably order upgrade to logic 9 tomorrow.

Cheers for now[/quote]

You will be fine getting the upgrade from Amazon to V9. Logic is not available for PC, so maybe it's someone's typo on amazon.

V7's layout is horrible and confusing compared to V8/9. Well worth the upgrade IMO. I'm saving to buy V9 for at home, I've got 7 on my work laptop and I really struggle with it.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='726428' date='Jan 27 2010, 03:23 PM']You will be fine getting the upgrade from Amazon to V9. Logic is not available for PC, so maybe it's someone's typo on amazon.

V7's layout is horrible and confusing compared to V8/9. Well worth the upgrade IMO. I'm saving to buy V9 for at home, I've got 7 on my work laptop and I really struggle with it.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'm at home next Friday,so will order logic express 9 nxt week :)