Why become a member? ×

QC on basses

Musicman20

Hey

Ive recently tried to purchase TWO of the same bass, and the first one was in a right mess. I got a refund on that one, but then spotted another, a little more money but they were throwing a quality case in etc.

So, I receive it today, sure plays better, no fret buzz, nice neck

BUT, yet again, QC issues that I dont think a bass should have when its more than 1K retail price.

I wont go into detail as both stores have been more thean helpful, and hopefully when I try to return this I will have no problems. It has put me off searching though...for the right 5 string.

All my Stingrays were perfect from the factory, and still are.

My 3 Fenders are blindlingly good, and they have really improved on their QC for a sub £900 instrument.

Any advice?!

Edited by Musicman20

The setup on my £1500 RRP '62 Re-Issue Precision was shocking, too. The neck was bowed, saddles all over the place, and it was close to being unplayable. A proper setup sorted it all out, but you'd think that it would be half decent straight from the factory.

IMO, i dont think any instrument your buying should have a setup that ridiculously bad...everyone has there pref, but if its so bad, the shop should sort it...when it gets to spending that much on an instrument its really bad...imagine going into a bike shop and spending £1000 on a top bike and it wasnt set up properly, so it was difficult to ride... it wouldnt happen...

they sell the basses they should set them up and make sure they are in tip top condition....I bought a bass on line from a shop....and a bass company renowned for bad QC and i learned my lesson...you really need to try basses as there is so many variables...

in the future i know if i buy new, to play the bass... or buy second hand and get it from BC'ers who will give you an honest low down about the bass..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='714459' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:30 PM']they sell the basses they should set them up and make sure they are in tip top condition....I bought a bass on line from a shop....and a bass company renowned for bad QC and i learned my lesson...you really need to try basses as there is so many variables...

in the future i know if i buy new, to play the bass... or buy second hand and get it from BC'ers who will give you an honest low down about the bass..[/quote]

A big +1 to all of that. I've only ordered a couple of instruments on spec and luckily they've always been good ones, apart from the MIM Jazz V that rusted from condensation. I always try before I buy and pick very carefully. My Am.Std. Jazz was literally the tenth one I'd tried. It took that many to find the right one not only for me, but that met my exacting quality standards.

Thankfully, I've no such gripes with Status. Every single bass passes through Rob Green's hands before it exits the building. If only all companies could be as good. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='714470' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:43 PM']Thankfully, I've no such gripes with Status. Every single bass passes through Rob Green's hands before it exits the building. If only all companies could be as good. :)[/quote]

+1

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='714470' date='Jan 15 2010, 11:43 PM']A big +1 to all of that. I've only ordered a couple of instruments on spec and luckily they've always been good ones, apart from the MIM Jazz V that rusted from condensation. I always try before I buy and pick very carefully. My Am.Std. Jazz was literally the tenth one I'd tried. It took that many to find the right one not only for me, but that met my exacting quality standards.

Thankfully, I've no such gripes with Status. Every single bass passes through Rob Green's hands before it exits the building. If only all companies could be as good. :)[/quote]

I wish id gone for your SR5 now!

Hmm...think I might just need to start from scratch again.

I for one DO have issues with Status basses - at least straight from the factory.

I have owned 2 Statuses in the past - a 2nd hand 6 string Empathy which was great (just too many strings for me) and a custom order S1 Classic made by Rob and co.

The latter had to be returned immediately (incredibly amount of fret buzz at the 12th fret) and a terrible setup overall. After it's return all I can is that is was an "ok" bass. It didn't sound anything special (through 2 EBS rigs and an Ampeg setup) and I've had basses costing way less than half the price which sound much better.

The actual finish of the bass was very disappointing too. A review in Guitarist showed the most amazing quilted top and the finish on my Empathy was simply stunning. Not this one. Very dull finish - you had to really look for the quilitng.

Overally I was very disppointed considering the money paid (as everyone knows, they're not cheap) and especially considering I'm no snob when it comes to gear (I'll happily play a cheap Yammie and have done so for years).

The experience changed my buying outlook altogether and these days I would definitely want to actually play something before spending anything over about £400.

BBass

Edited by BBass

[quote name='Musicman20' post='714704' date='Jan 16 2010, 11:42 AM']I wish id gone for your SR5 now!

Hmm...think I might just need to start from scratch again.[/quote]

Yes, my SR5 is a special one. The sound and playability is spot on with that one. Sounds more like a Status than a Ray with the ceramic pickup. At least it's going to a good home now.

What are you going to go for this time? I keep thinking to myself, you need to get yourself down to Colchester to try a bolt on S2-Classic 5-string. Either that, or to my house! The bolt on would be at the upper limit of your price range, but you'd definitely never look back.

Rich.

[quote name='BBass' post='715068' date='Jan 16 2010, 06:18 PM']I for one DO have issues with Status basses - at least straight from the factory.

I have owned 2 Statuses in the past - a 2nd hand 6 string Empathy which was great (just too many strings for me) and a custom order S1 Classic made by Rob and co.

The latter had to be returned immediately (incredibly amount of fret buzz at the 12th fret) and a terrible setup overall. After it's return all I can is that is was an "ok" bass. It didn't sound anything special (through 2 EBS rigs and an Ampeg setup) and I've had basses costing way less than half the price which sound much better.

The actual finish of the bass was very disappointing too. A review in Guitarist showed the most amazing quilted top and the finish on my Empathy was simply stunning. Not this one. Very dull finish - you had to really look for the quilitng.

Overally I was very disppointed considering the money paid (as everyone knows, they're not cheap) and especially considering I'm no snob when it comes to gear (I'll happily play a cheap Yammie and have done so for years).

The experience changed my buying outlook altogether and these days I would definitely want to actually play something before spending anything over about £400.

BBass[/quote]

Sorry to hear about your 'bad' experience with the Status brand, BBass. Oddly, I've never kept any of the basses Rob actually built for me. Mine are all either used ones or stock basses I played at the factory and made the decision there and then. I had two custom orders & ended up selling both. But QC and setups have always been perfect for me, though.

Rich.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote]@ OutToPlayJazz

Hi there,

I notice you've got quite a few Status basses listed in your sig and you praise them earlier in the tread.

Out of interest, did you order all yours directly?

Thanks,
Bryan[/quote]

Hi Brian, have a look at the post above yours... Mine are all either mint used ones or stock basses that I tried at the factory and made the decision there and then.

Rich.

My custom orders were both KingBasses. The first was a 5-stringer which was amazing, but I really wanted an S2 & the second was a 4-string. I just found I always preferred the sound and playability of the S2 more. So my 2nd KingBass Artist went to Texas, virtually unused and in mint condition. I got an even better Status bass with the proceeds, anyway :)

I sold this...

To get this...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Very glad it worked out for you. Despite the experince I still love Status basses and have been lurking on this site for a while looking for another.

Back to the topic, I've always thought that Yamaha can't be beaten in QC for the money. I've never had a duff Yammie (bass or guitar) and they're so cheap.

Bryan