Why become a member? ×

Impedance change

oldslapper

[quote name='slobluesine' post='748441' date='Feb 17 2010, 01:53 PM']what are the benefits for my amp running at 2ohms instead of 8?[/quote]

What amp have you got John?

if it's a valve amp then there is not a problem if the output transformer has a 2-ohm tap Solid-state amps are a different matter. Even though manufacturers say they will run at 2-ohm it does put a huge heat load on the output stage.

I think the general concensus is that there are no benefits running at 2-ohms, only potential problems.

If it aint broke...........................

Seriously, what are you trying to achieve?

On the assumption that you have a tranny amp ? is that you can get extra wattage by runing into a lower impedance speaker doesnt necessarily give you a huge increase in volume.

If you read through some of Alex clabers posts there is a limit to how loud a loudspeaker will go after a finite input.
Certainly my experience of changing from a single 8ohm to a single 4 ohm cab was disapointing, [as was changing from a 100w to a 200w marshall many years ago.

If your amp really does go down to 2 ohm [and there doesnt seem to be many that do] try it and see what you think. The wirings easy enough to do and you can change it back if you want to.

If it were me i would buy an additional cab

[quote name='slobluesine' post='748687' date='Feb 17 2010, 05:15 PM']seems its NOT a good idea to run an amp at 2ohms, so why do they make them to run at 2ohms?[/quote]

Where did you see that the EA Doubler runs at 2-ohms? All I can find in the spec is 550-watts @ 4-ohms and 310-watts @ 8-ohms.