Why become a member? ×

Headstock crack

Jigster

I don't have any issues personally, but there is a guitar I'm quite keen on which has suffered a headstock crack and been repaired - it's a Ricky and was a truss rod issue apparently - but my question, and I know it's different for each case, but how longstanding will a well done repair job be - is there a chance, say, of the crack returning under the duress of the guitar being regularly gigged?

Ta

My EB3 had the headstock snapped off,and repaired long before i bought it,i had it about 3 years without a problem.I suppose it all depends on how well the repair was done,not just how well the repair was covered up.Knowing the history of the guitar helps.A correctly done repair should be stronger than before it was broken.

Edited by hillbilly deluxe

[quote name='bumnote' post='711467' date='Jan 13 2010, 04:02 PM']My precision that I got back in 1969 already had the headstock cracked through the e tuner hole all the way to the end past the g. It was poorly glued back together and hasnt moved in the last 40 years[/quote]

wow -

[quote name='henry norton' post='711531' date='Jan 13 2010, 04:36 PM']Old double basses get repaired and altered (4-5 string for example) all the time, and they're expected to last for centuries. If it's been repaired well enough then it shouldn't be a problem - just don't pay 'perfect condition' prices for it.[/quote]

no, sure - ta