Why become a member? ×

Is it safe to open a SS amp and replace the caps?

cheddatom

The volume keeps going up and down in an SS amp. I've asked around before (it's been sitting around for a year while i've been lazy/busy) and it was suggested I replace the "output caps". I had a look inside and thought it might be wise to just replace all the big caps. Am I at any risk here? It's been sitting around for at least 12 months. Are there any specific "musical" caps or do I just get the matching values from Maplins?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='711171' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:22 PM']The volume keeps going up and down in an SS amp. I've asked around before (it's been sitting around for a year while i've been lazy/busy) and it was suggested I replace the "output caps". I had a look inside and thought it might be wise to just replace all the big caps. Am I at any risk here? It's been sitting around for at least 12 months. Are there any specific "musical" caps or do I just get the matching values from Maplins?

Thanks in advance for any help :)[/quote]
I think you mean the power supply caps. Here you are: [url="http://www.ehow.com/how_5511786_safely-discharge-capacitor.html"]http://www.ehow.com/how_5511786_safely-dis...-capacitor.html[/url], although I'd be surprised if there was much charge left after a year.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='711412' date='Jan 13 2010, 03:29 PM']Thanks! Now I just need to know if I can use any opld replacement caps?[/quote]

By "any old Caps" I take it to mean Generic vs Branded, in which case I'd say yes.

The two key things to match are the value & the rated voltage. With power supply caps it's normally fine to exceed both - e.g if you've got a 2200μF 250V smoothing cap, there should be no problem with replacing it with a 3500μF 250V, or, say a 2200μF 500V cap. [i][b]Don't go [u]below[/u] the figures printed on the casing.[/b][/i] This applies to conventional Transformer > Rectifier > Smoothing > Regulator types - switched-mode lightweight PSUs are a whole different Ketlov Fish.

Also, don't be surprised if a modern replacement is physically considerably smaller than a "vintage" smoothing capacitor - the technology has advanced somewhat over the years.

Also also, make sure that you observe the polarity of an electrolytic cap, if you get 'em the wrong way round much unpleasantness can result.

If it's caps in the signal path, they need to be matched to the μF values otherwise you may find that the tonal response goes completely up the pictures.

Pete.

• 3 weeks later...