Why become a member? ×

Markbass CMD121P combo, can I swap the amp ?

largo

Thinking of downsizing my rig to a Markbass CMD121P with NY121 extension cab.
Currently have a Schroeder 410L and Markbass SA450 amp and really like the mid EQ section on the SA450. Th 410L is just too heavy as a single man lift !!!!
So, if I bought the little combo. Could I swap in my SA450 and sell the LMII or whatever the combo amp section is, as a standalone amp?

I did this Stephen - downsized to a MB combo (210) and for me it was a big mistake. Sure it was light and loud but the tone was...well a disappointment after what I was used to. I know it's a cliche but IMO/IME the heads are superb but the cabs aren't and unfortunately with a combo, you're kinda stuck with the cab.

I wouldn't have thought so because the SA450 is physically larger than LMII.

One other thing to consider is that the piezo loaded Markbass Cabs sound very 'spitty' to my ears - so much so that I have disconnect the piezo tweeter in my CMD121P. The sound is so much better but if you do want a more forward high frequency in your sound you would be better off going for the horn loaded 1x12 extension cab. If you want to stick with the ultra compact NY121 then try the combination first at volume to make sure you are happy with nature of the piezo tweeters.

Taking 'homer's comment on board I would agree that although the ultra compact Markbass stuff is good (I have a CMD121P after all) you should also consider other options. I think their heads are so much better than their cabs and I have been using a Markbass TA501 head with Bergantino HT112 and EX112 cabs as my main gigging rig for a year now. Very easy to carry around and stunning sound.

Edited by alanbass1

[quote name='rasher80' post='711500' date='Jan 13 2010, 04:20 PM']Are the combos that bad? the one i played was sound.

Got a CMD102p on the way :)[/quote]

I can't get on with the piezo tweeter - drove me to distraction and on the CMD121 there's no attenuator to turn it down/off, which is why I disconnected it. I think my CMD121 is very nice and use it all the time at home and for rehearsals - but the TA501/Bergantino set up is in a totally different league soundwise

Edited by alanbass1

I really like the NY121 and the small MB cabs...I tried a normal size 1x15 and wasnt that keen. But, please bear in mind that I STILL prefer ceramic no matter what at the moment. Ive tested about 5-6 different manufacturers of neo cabs, and it just wasnt 100% for me. VERY close with Berg and Tecamp, but not QUITE the ceramic thump.

I love the MB amps, and I do like their combos/small cabs. The NY121 is fantastic for its size.