Why become a member? ×

HI from another "Newbie"

Spook

Just to say Hi!

The name's Spook, aged 53, from "South OF Heaven".

Been playing bass since I was 14, (Still not learned anything!! :) ), 15 years of it professionally, but mostly for the sheer love of it.
I'll stop playing bass when they pry the neck from my cold, dead hands - it's a complete obsession for me!

Influence wise, there are so many, from way back in the past, when dinosaurs ruled the Earth, to present day, but particularly, "Old School" players like Andy Frazer of Free, Jack Bruce, Leon Wilkinson, Billy Sheehan et al.
Basically, I'm into country and folk, blues, blues based rock and metal.

Call me old fashioned and traditional, but if you want to play solos, go buy a guitar, for me bass is the heart of the music, powerful, melodic, soulful, but ALWAYS driving things along.

Same thing with the "percussive", slapping style of playing - while I can fully appreciate the skills needed to play the style, (Yes, before you ask, I CAN play that style!), it just leaves me cold, and I avoid it like the plague.

Gear wise, I have two custom built 5-strings, and my battered and abused '72 Precision, though the old girl has played literally thousands of gigs and sessions with me over the years, it hasn't left the case since I got the first 5 string, and I'd sell it, but it's in such an abysmal state no one would want it, (Yes seriously it is!!).
I use an Ashdown 300W combo, having sold my 600W Trace Eliott / Hartke stack, (2X15 Trace cabs and a 4X10h Hartke Ally cone top end) cos it was a pain in the arse to hump about, even though it had an amazing amount of power and tone.
I also ditched my extensive FX rack, and am now using only a rack tuner and radio system alongside the amp - a complete "Back to basics" approach.

Think that's all there is to tell - look forward to talking to some of you in the future!

Hello!

I like your style - I only have a bass, a combo and a tuner, and currently have no need for effects, but hey, horses for courses - some players love 'em. The covers band I've been recruited into plays mostly classics of the Stones, Hendrix and Beatles variety - no doubt someone can suggest an FX pedal or two that'd be good for particular songs.

Hi Spook and welcome :)

Like your tastes! Always good to have some Old School stuff going on here - though you are by no means be in a minority. Next time a "Slapping - what's it good for?" thread kicks off, check it out. You may be surprised at the passion that starts squirting around.

As for this:

[quote name='Spook' post='710038' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:29 PM']Gear wise, I have ... my battered and abused '72 Precision, ... but it's in such an abysmal state no one would want it, (Yes seriously it is!!).[/quote]
Trust me - if you ever stuck it in the 'basses for sale' sub-forum someone would probably have your arm off within minutes. Early 70's Fenders [i]very[/i] popular round here at the moment!

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Edited by skankdelvar

Thanks, folks!

I always did like a little chorus / flange on the more melodic stuff, but I always had the sneaky feeling I was using it more as a "Talent Booster" than an addition to my sound.
Now I've dumped the FX, I have to rely purely on my hands to create the sound, something I'm much happier with.

One thing I am having fum with at the moment is using a heavy-grade "Sharkfin" pick - just gives a different edge (Excuse the pun).
Don't get me wrong, I love playing finger style, but I do prefer to play with a pick, for that extra bit of attack ( Old rockers, eh??).
As for my old Prec.- I can't honestly see us parting company, even if I never play her again - Too many miles, too much gigging time, so many memories - the first "Proper" bass I bought - grafted and saved for a year to get it and my grandparents made up the difference.

Some folks don't get the avatar - guess you have to be "of a certain age" - Did it myself years ago!

One day I'll go to my ex's, get into the loft and get the old girl (NOT my ex!!), out and take a pic or three.

Sufficice to say over the years it been extensively butchered here's a list of the atrocities I can remember: (there are more!!)

Orginal sunburst finish stripped and resprayed with matt black car paint.

Telecaster bass pickup put in as close to the neck as it would go - hole gouged out with a screwdriver on the tour bus.

Both pots discarded and replaced with mini spst toggle switches, one for each pickup, (Always had the controls full up, so no point interrupting the signal with pots!).

Scratch plate thrown away and replaced with a small polished aluminium plate that just covers the electrics cavity.

Neck shaved to a square section as thin as it would go then resprayed matt black.

Extra string tree added on "D" and "G" strings.

Badass bass bridge fitted.

Pickups stripped and rewound, then epoxy sealed.

Treble edge of fretboard lightly scalloped all the way along the neck.

Brass nut re-cut with closer string spacing.

Edited by Spook

• 2 weeks later...