Why become a member? ×

Warwick rockbass corvette good for reggae ?

redstriper

[quote name='redstriper' post='710016' date='Jan 12 2010, 02:14 PM']How does the rockbass corvette compare to the warwick standard model ?

I need a light weight dub bass with a smooth feel and deep sound.

I like the w. corvette std, but it's more than I want to pay.[/quote]

there´s one for sale on here somewhere for less than the price of a new Rockbass vette
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=72157&hl=warwick"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=warwick[/url]

[quote name='redstriper' post='710280' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:14 PM']Thanks basshead, I haven't tried a streamer but the corvette suited me.
There is a used rockbass corvette available not too far from me that I might go and try.

BTW - I see you're in Kerry, do you know James Kennedy from Tralee ?[/quote]

Yeah, I´m in Tralee aswell. I know James pretty well. Sound bloke, and a fantastic player. Do you know him then?

They're good, some folk say the hardware is cheaper and doesn't last as long. I had to replace a volume pot on my German 'Vette Standard though. I liked every one i played, same electrics and pickups as the genuine article and same neck profile

I'd wait a bit tbh as the new Rockbass line are on the horizon, they have them in the USA but i don't think they've arrived here yet:

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/product_list.php?list=17056&katID=17057&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/pro...17057&cl=EN[/url]

They'e much closer in appearace to the original Warwicks, have the proper bridge and the "W" logo.

Even if you fancy one of the current range you'll most likely get a better deal on it once the new ones arrive and there's old stock to shift

[quote name='basshead56' post='710299' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:30 PM']Yeah, I´m in Tralee aswell. I know James pretty well. Sound bloke, and a fantastic player. Do you know him then?[/quote]
Ahh - so there's een more Fenders in Tralee than I thought !
I know him through myspace - love his Avatar music and share his passion for roots reggae.
I'm hoping get over there and try some of his amazing basses one of these days.
Please say hi when you see him and pass on my irie greetings - I've told him about basschat before, but don't think he's too bothered.

small world :)

Redstripe Steve.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='710306' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:33 PM']They're good, some folk say the hardware is cheaper and doesn't last as long. I had to replace a volume pot on my German 'Vette Standard though. I liked every one i played, same electrics and pickups as the genuine article and same neck profile

I'd wait a bit tbh as the new Rockbass line are on the horizon, they have them in the USA but i don't think they've arrived here yet:

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/product_list.php?list=17056&katID=17057&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/pro...17057&cl=EN[/url]

They'e much closer in appearace to the original Warwicks, have the proper bridge and the "W" logo.

Even if you fancy one of the current range you'll most likely get a better deal on it once the new ones arrive and there's old stock to shift[/quote]

Thanks for the info.
I'm not too bothered about the looks or buying new if I can find the right tone and feel in a cheap used instrument.
I tried a used W. corvette std. in a local music shop and loved the feel, weight and sound, but it was £550 which is more than I want to spend.
There's a rockbass corvette on ebay [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250558258962&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]HERE[/url] just a few miles away - I could save the p&p costs if it suits me.
My regular bass is an old fender jazz that I find too heavy for gigs and I only use the neck pup with the tone rolled off for a deep dub sound.

Yeah, he and I own them all!haha
He´s big into Cort now though.
Yeah Avatar are great (producer/keys player produces for us aswell)
small world?not really, just a small town :)
I will pass on my best if I see him Steve,
Good luck with the hunt and I´ll keep my eyes peeled for that Warwick for you mate
Cheers
Colin

If you can get that for around £200 then job done. Any more than that and i'd be tempted to scour eBay for a German Corvette, there's a few last year that went around the £300 - £400 mark.

Occaisionally there's some great BIN deals too. I got a Fortress for £250 and jmsjabb (i think) got a 'Vette for around £400 last year, both from the same seller and both German

The new Rockbasses are going to be more expensive but should hopefully still push the price of the current ones down

EDIT: There's also an active Streamer on there too:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Rock-Bass_W0QQitemZ130357840898QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item1e59eecc02"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Warwick-Rock-Bass_W0...=item1e59eecc02[/url]

Edited by lemmywinks

If you can find a Hohner BBass, give it a bash, It's got dub-like lows with the preamp. Aston Barrett plays one. About the same price than a Rockbass.

BTW, I have one, 15 years old, and still going strong. Light bass, comfortable and well balanced, with a drop-d thing at the bridge (massive Steinberger thing). I'm swapping the electronics. Not for sale! :)

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='711204' date='Jan 13 2010, 12:49 PM']If you can find a Hohner BBass, give it a bash, It's got dub-like lows with the preamp. Aston Barrett plays one. About the same price than a Rockbass.[/quote]

The only thing that might put me off with the Hohner is the weight - they look heavy, while the Warwick Corvette is lightweight.

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='711310' date='Jan 13 2010, 02:06 PM']Dunno how much mine weight, but it's not heavy. Not featherweight, I'd say around 8 pounds and a bit. The Rockbass could be lighter, with agathis and alder bodies. One heavy SOB is my Warwick Corvette STD, bubinga body, wenge neck.[/quote]
Thanks Sir.
My old jazz bass is another heavy beast which is why I'm looking to replace it for gigs.
I was thinking of a squier CV jazz, but open to anything suitable.
Under 9 pounds is fine, think I'll look out for a Hohner - what is the neck profile like?
I prefer a jazz neck and also like the corvette.
Bubinga is mad heavy, the ash corvette is much lighter and still sounds good.
Would you say the Hohner is better for reggae than the Warwick?
My preference is for a very smooth deep front pup tone - check my band below to get the picture.

fwiw I found the Rockbass Corvette to be a bit of a poor imitation. I have a 1998 Warwick Corvette Standard which is really really great but the rockbass seemed to only really relate in terms of body shape.

The neck is totally different, it lacks the 'Warwick growl' and it felt a bit cheap.

My advice, look for a second hand Corvette standard or a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz (which is great btw and has loads of tone!).

Between the Squier VM / CV Jazz, the Corvette, the Hohner, I think it's all a matter of personal tastes and comfort. The Corvette Ash would have a more 'meaty', low-mid sound (although not as pronounced and smoother than the Bubinga version), the Hohner more fundamentals, the Jazz would just be Jazz, so you can eq anything with them. I couldn't say about the Rockbasses. If it is a weight thing, the Rockbass Streamer would probably be very light, and big round sounds with their dual passive MEC humbuckers (two pickups version). I suppose they would be worth a try, I would choose them over the corvettes.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

I'd think about getting an active Hohner Jack Bass, or even a cricket bat. I've had huge dub tones from the Jack I had, amazing for the money, totally reliable, and I love the way they look. In fact I've seen a few reggae bassists using them over the years.

I reckon you could get one for around £150 - £200 on the bay.