Why become a member? ×

For Sale - Steinberger 6 string electric guitar

For sale, my beloved black Steinberger Spirit Electric Guitar.

Absolutely mint, three pickup wood bodied version (Maple neck and through maple body for superb tone and sustain). Upgraded pickups (the stock 'Select by EMG' pickups were pants - Now installed with EMG HZ humbuckers x 2 (passive version of EMG 81/85 - for guitars without space for batteries) and a Seymour Duncan JB Jr stacked humbucker (single coil size). I chose this pickups, as its in keeping of the style of the originals. The JB Jr sounds fantastic, PAF like in tone. Blend Seymour Duncam and EMG pickups for hot vintage voiced tones, use the EMGs for modern rock tones. The JB Jr is also coil tapped. Pull the volume knob for strat like single coil tones. Very versatile guitar.

The Steinberger is very well made. Its keeps tune brilliantly, the trem works well, easy to adjust, change strings, and tune. The neck is much better than the Hohner headless guitars (which I played for 10 years) - not thick and clubby - nice 'C' profile, just sits right. Fretboard looks like ebony, though could be very fine rosewood (update - have checked, it's rosewood - but very fine and dark rosewood). Beautifully finished.

Guitar comes with a slightly worn Steinberger soft case. It doesn't really offer the best protection - is a bit thin in places, and fraying here and there (I make it sound worse than it is), but still very functional.

Overall a fab guitar - the only reason I'm selling it is to make room for a new Gretsch (4th on the collection). I have to sell a guitar if I buy a new one, or wifey has a rant. She thinks 14 guitars/basses is excessive. I think 20 pairs of shoes are excesive, but they're a lot cheaper than Gretsch's.

Any interest? Comes fitted with a fresh set of double ball strings - 10's - Also have fresh 9's if you prefer. Other sets available (four or five I think)

Action, fast and low - no fretbuz, fret wear or flatspots. Beautiful.

Cheers

Mr Marlin

Edited by The Marlin

Thanks for the offer of the Calvin. I already have a decent five string, so I'm not really looking for another. But, thanks anyway. Pics will come later today. It's exceptionally neat and tidy, only really had use when I've bee travelling. There is not a mark on it - just finger prints, and these wipe nicely off the black gloss finish.

Of all my guitars, this is actually the one my wife likes most (thought she's also pretty fond of the Gretsch Black Phoenix). She doesn't want me to sell it.

Also considering selling my ESP Ltd Viper 301 with two EMG HZ's. This is a superb mahogany set neck SG style guitar - superb sound, great sustain. Very popular guitar with artists, this one has been played and signed by Captain Sensible of The Damned (he only plays ESP Viper 301's). This is black, with an off black signature in fine black marker - it shows up in reflected light as faint yellow. For Non Damned fans, it will easily polish out.

It was played at the legendary Stourbridge gig about five years ago. £500

Cheers

Mr Marlin

Edited by The Marlin