Why become a member? ×

EA micro head - your thoughts?

mojobass

thinking of getting one to replace my mag600 so i can go totally lightweight, but not played through or seen one of these in the flesh! I'm looking at going for the newer 550w version as i need the extra headroom. I had a class D ashdown LG1000 in the past and was disappointed with its lack of umphh, so do these EA units fair any better? anyone who has one or has had one shed any light on them?? For reference it will be used with my schroeder 1212 cab

I have one of these - see my sig for full set-up - and it's so small and light (1kg), more akin to a DI box than an integrated amp.

Tonally, I'd say it's clean with great midrange clarity and presence in the lowest frequencies - especially when dropping the low B to an A - a real full-bandwidth amp. Dead simple tone controls, nice lights (!) and it fits the pocket of my effects gig bag. (I often use public transport to get to gigs, so it's very easy to schlep around).

It's plenty loud enough for my needs, but my "umph" my be different from yours!

[quote name='walbassist' post='708675' date='Jan 11 2010, 11:44 AM']I have one on order and should have it by the end of next week. I'm hoping it will be the perfect matchup for my EA cabs and allow me to ditch my very good, but butt ugly, Markbass LMK.[/quote]

Just curious: you have a Doubler already, so why get a Micro too?

I'm surprised not more people are getting Micros, but they are very revealing amps, ie you can hear every detail of your playing, including sloppy stuff etc.:) Maybe they are perceived as "double bass/acoustic bass amps", which I'd say is wrong...

[quote name='JonnyM' post='709764' date='Jan 12 2010, 10:07 AM']Just curious: you have a Doubler already, so why get a Micro too?[/quote]

Sorry for the misunderstanding. My sig should actually read [i]Doubler on the way[/i]; I'll have it next week. I'm not getting a Micro as well.

Edited by walbassist

• 3 months later...

[attachment=48373:IMG_1736.JPG]Hi,

I own a EA Micro and I absolutely love it. It's by far the smallest head I have ever seen, and it only weights 1 KG.
The preamp is very basic , BASS / MID / TRE , but does the job fine . Also, you can switch anytime between 2 channels with same bass , or 2 different basses, which I found really useful. The sound is crystal clear and won't be suited for anyone after a tubey tone.
The amp is really LOUD, and it's quite unreal to see so much sound coming out of such a tiny box.
I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

BassPimp

[quote name='BassPimp66' post='820867' date='Apr 27 2010, 05:16 PM']I own a EA Micro and I absolutely love it. It's by far the smallest head I have ever seen, and it only weights 1 KG.[/quote]

I'd be worried about it blowing away at an outdoor gig. Fortunately there's a solution (though this is for the Miniamp rather than the Micro, but I think it will fit the Micro as well)

[quote name='RichardH' post='823915' date='Apr 30 2010, 12:16 PM']I'd be worried about it blowing away at an outdoor gig. Fortunately there's a solution (though this is for the Miniamp rather than the Micro, but I think it will fit the Micro as well)

If you look at the photo, there's a gnome on top of my EA head.
The gnome keeps the head in place during windy outdoor gigs and is also a deterrent for thieves...

[/quote]