Why become a member? ×

Digitech Whammy question!

SickPuppy

So my cousin got hold of a bass whammy today and I was playing about with it in the infamous Justin Chancellor from Tool setting, and got a perfect sound for an intro to a song my band recorded, but unfortunately the bass whammy didnt belong to my cousin, I can't I find one and even if I did I probably couldnt afford it, so I was wondering if there are any similar options out there i.e PS-3 or a digitech whammy IV/original guitar whammy on bass?

Thanks in advance!

[quote name='Jarhead' post='703332' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:41 PM']If you want, I do have a Whammy IV, but like he said, it doesn't have the exact same sound on it, could be worth a shot though. I'm only asking £90 for it, so you can sell it on easily enough if you don't get on with it.

Zach[/quote]

Dropped a PM with you about that, thanks for the tip off.

I'm not looking for much just that Schism/Dispostion sound which I'm hoping to record soon.

Edited by SickPuppy

[quote name='SickPuppy' post='703351' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:49 PM']I'm not looking for much just that Schism/Dispostion sound which I'm hoping to record soon.[/quote]

You should be able to play Schism with the Whammy IV as it uses the octave up/octave down setting. But...you won't be able to play Disposition, as it uses the 5th up/octave up setting which isn't found on the Whammy IV.

The 5th/octave up setting is the reason the bass whammy is so sought after (especially by all the Tool fans). Justin Chancellor used that setting loads:

Pushit
Ticks and Leeches
Disposition

The 5th up/6th up setting is the other one JC used a fair bit:

Eulogy
Right In Two

Edited by gnasher1993

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='703359' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:57 PM']You should be able to play Schism with the Whammy IV as it uses the octave up/octave down setting. But...you won't be able to play Disposition, as it uses the 5th up/octave up setting which isn't found on the Whammy IV.

The 5th/octave up setting is the reason the bass whammy is so sought after (especially by all the Tool fans). Justin Chancellor used that setting loads:

Pushit
Ticks and Leeches
Disposition

The 5th up/6th up setting is the other one JC used a fair bit:

Eulogy
Right In Two[/quote]
Yeah, trust JC to use a setting found on a pedal that costs an absolute fortune :) If Digitech did a re-issue they could make a bomb lol.

Zach

[quote name='Jarhead' post='703372' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:03 PM']Yeah, trust JC to use a setting found on a pedal that costs an absolute fortune :) If Digitech did a re-issue they could make a bomb lol.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. A well made reissue though, constructed like the Whammy IV. Let's face it, the bass whammy was poorly made; plastic casing, poor-quality footswitch etc.

I was really impressed with the build quality of the Whammy IV, it was just the barrel size they used for the power supply that really wound me up.

The PS-3 has also shot up in value because of the JC fanboys.

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='703382' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:10 PM']My thoughts exactly. A well made reissue though, constructed like the Whammy IV. Let's face it, the bass whammy was poorly made; plastic casing, poor-quality footswitch etc.

I was really impressed with the build quality of the Whammy IV, it was just the barrel size they used for the power supply that really wound me up.

The PS-3 has also shot up in value because of the JC fanboys.[/quote]
Yeah, it's irritating because they made a great pedal, but it probably wouldn't stand up to constant, heavy use at 5 gigs a week. The Whammy IV is built like a brick sh1thouse, practically impossible to break. Yeah, the power supply made no sense at all, you can't use it with your daisy chain or power brick because the damn power jack won't actually fit.

Zach

lolwut?

The Whammy IV is volatile as owt. Look at it funny, and it'll break. That treadle isn't strong.

Or get an M9/M13, and set the Pitch Glide to whatever settings you want :) If Line 6 released that as a pedal, it would be a bonafide Whammy killer. If they built it right.

Edited by Finbar

[quote name='Kev' post='703544' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:55 PM']why has no-one mentioned the xp100? Has all the whammy setting of the bass whammy, plus alot more, and can be got for often cheaper than a 2nd hand wh4[/quote]

Ah yeah, great point. Completely forgot that. The demand for the Whammy I is going up now as well though. I've seen prices on those similar to that of the bass whammy at times.

Yea, The XP-100 is what you want, has the chancellortastic 5'th/octave up, aren't as common as the wh-4 but a lot more common and a lot cheaper than the bass whammy, an xp-100 can be had for about £80, bass whammies usually go for £400+ and they just aren't worth it, it's all the justin chancellor hype jacking up the price

[quote name='Kev' post='703544' date='Jan 6 2010, 09:55 PM']why has no-one mentioned the xp100? Has all the whammy setting of the bass whammy, plus alot more, and can be got for often cheaper than a 2nd hand wh4[/quote]

Yeh, that's what you want. I had one until I lost it :-(

You could always try the MoltenVoltage mods or plug their Molten MIDI into it, if you've got a few quid spare.

[url="http://www.moltenvoltage.com/whammy_mods.html"]http://www.moltenvoltage.com/whammy_mods.html[/url]

[url="http://www.moltenvoltage.com/molten_midi.html"]http://www.moltenvoltage.com/molten_midi.html[/url]

Personally, I'm leaning towards an XP-100 though, if I ever get another Whammy.

Edited by redzombie