Why become a member? ×

Carlsbro 100 watt valve head, plus 1x15" cab

Carlsbro 100 watt valve PA head, likely to be early 70s, possibly late 60s. Although this was built as a PA amp, it sounds great for bass or clean guitar. The preamp valves are old Brimars (possibly original) and the power valves are a matched quartet of EH 6CA7s (an EL34 alternative). it's built in the traditional way on eyelet board (no PCBs), which you'll only find in pricey boutique amps nowadays. The condition is fairly good for its age, though there are a couple of non-original knobs and some wear to the tolex.
The filter capacitors have been replaced and channel 1 has had its tone stack replaced with one based on the classic Fender style. Channel one is now brighter and somewhat mid-scooped, while the three original channels are mellower sounding with more mids. Note that the work on this amp has been done by myself, and I'm a keen and careful amateur rather than a qualified tech, so you may wish to have it checked over by your local amp tech. Having said that, it is properly grounded and fused, and I've been using it without problems. I have kept the original tone stack components from channel one, so it could be put back to original if desired.
The cab is a Peavey 1x15", fitted with an older cast-frame Celestion speaker. It's not in amazing cosmetic condition, and there's no handle, though it works fine. The speaker is rated at 100 watts, 16 ohms, but it copes well with this amp and allows for a healthy, giggable volume.
Together, they make for a good sounding old school setup. Headroom is pretty good; i've never needed to crank it to the point of distortion.

I'd like [b]£XXX [/b]for the amp, and[b] £XX[/b] for the cab, which I feel is pretty good for a giggable valve rig. Collection from my flat in Edinburgh is preferred, though I may consider packing and posting the head, but not the cab, if there's no interest locally.

EDIT; I'VE JUST REALISED THE AD IS STILL HERE, AMP IS WELL AND TRULY WITHDRAWN FROM SALE!

Edited by Beer of the Bass

The output is selectable for 4, 8 or 16 Ohms. I've never had to take it as loud as it goes, but with the master volume at about 10 o'clock, I found it kept up nicely with a lively drummer and a guitarist using a 1x12" combo, and that was without the amp distorting noticably.
That was with the 1x15", so I'd imagine that with the extra speaker area of an 8x10" cab, you'd get a bit more out of it. I'm not going to open up the old valve vs solid state can of worms, but it does have more poke than I'd have expected from a 100 watt amp.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='702235' date='Jan 5 2010, 10:27 PM']I'm wondering if this amp would be able to keep up with a loud drummer & guitarist with no PA support through my 8x10" Ashdown Mag cab.[/quote]

Probably find that this will blow a modern bass head out of the water. Old amps like this were miles louder than comparable wattage amps you can get today

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='709044' date='Jan 11 2010, 04:46 PM']Hi Bob, I'll stick it on my scales tomorrow and let you know. All I can say is that carrying it 100 metres makes my arms go numb...[/quote]

Cheers, if it's really heavy, carrying it 10 metres will make my back spasm and temporarily paralyse my right arm :)