Why become a member? ×

Phil Jones Briefcase versus Markbass Minimark?

Beedster

Anyone got any thoughts on tone, volume, and functionality of either or both? I need a very small combo for an upcoming series of small gigs. I'm playing a four string (Precision), and the last time I played the venue in question a 65w Ashdown combo with a 15" speaker did the job OK (I would use it again but we walk to the gig and I want a combo that's really easy to carry - the Ashdown weighed a ton).

Chris

Here are my thoughts...
I thought the Briefcase was very nice sounding a few years ago when I tried it at the Bass Centre, however it farted out when pushed, and I wouldn't chance taking it on a gig based on that experience - I guess it may work well for others. It would make a great home practice amp though.

For the size/weight/price I'd go for a Gallien Krueger MB-150 (again). I pretty much bought it for reasons similar to what you describe. List price is more expensive than PJB, but I got a pretty good deal on it at the time which brought the price down quite a bit from the list price. (it's 27lbs or so, and goes over the shoulder quite easily in a Rockbag that fits it perfectly).

Can't comment on the MB, but from what I've just read about it, it would probably be louder that the PJ, and more in the price range of the GK. I'd still drop the dough on the GK, although the MarkBass is a few pounds lighter.

Cheers
G

[quote name='Gwilym' post='699634' date='Jan 3 2010, 03:53 PM']Here are my thoughts...
I thought the Briefcase was very nice sounding a few years ago when I tried it at the Bass Centre, however it farted out when pushed, and I wouldn't chance taking it on a gig based on that experience - I guess it may work well for others. It would make a great home practice amp though.

For the size/weight/price I'd go for a Gallien Krueger MB-150 (again). I pretty much bought it for reasons similar to what you describe. List price is more expensive than PJB, but I got a pretty good deal on it at the time which brought the price down quite a bit from the list price. (it's 27lbs or so, and goes over the shoulder quite easily in a Rockbag that fits it perfectly).

Can't comment on the MB, but from what I've just read about it, it would probably be louder that the PJ, and more in the price range of the GK. I'd still drop the dough on the GK, although the MarkBass is a few pounds lighter.

Cheers
G[/quote]

Thanks Gwilym, good to hear from you mate. The feeling I get from reading various reviews is that the PJB might be just a tiny bit underpowered for my needs whilst the Markbass might be what I'm after (despite the price difference). After your post I've looked at the GK and the ability to sling a 15" combo over the shoulder seems way too good to be true, is it really that portable, and if so, does the bag in question come with the amp or is it an extra cost, the listings I checked were a little ambiguous?

Cheers

Chris

[quote name='largo' post='699665' date='Jan 3 2010, 04:34 PM']What about the PJB Flightcase ?[/quote]

Cheers Largo
I really like the ability to carry this thing easily in one hand, with a bass in the other. I like it's shape; I always find that, irrespective of weight, square combos are never particularly easy to carry and I tend to end up with a sore knee from the banging (I recently sold my Markbass 1x12 combo for that reason). The options as I see it are a Briefcase/Minimark-type combo, seperate head/cab, one of which will go on my back (but in my experience it's usually the head, leaving me with a 1x12 or bigger still banging against my knee), or a combo like the GK which will also go on my back. TBH at the moment I'd prefer either the briefcase or the minimark as it unit will have to double as my practice amp and space is at something of a premium chez Beedster (there's a rather large Mesa rig taking up quite a lot of it).

Cheers

Chris

I can recommend the markbass as the ultimate practice/small gigs amp.
It don't come cheap though.
If your playing at low volumes, like coffee house or jazz type gigs, it should do the biz volume wise for you. For louder drumming and stuff you'll need an extension cab, with which it works very well. Very easy to carry, and can double as a very small p.a. for parties and stuff.... just plug your ipod in, mess with the filters a bit and bobs yer auntie! Pretty cool. Had to sell mine but wouldn't mind another some day.

[quote name='Beedster' post='699772' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:19 PM']Thanks Gwilym, good to hear from you mate. The feeling I get from reading various reviews is that the PJB might be just a tiny bit underpowered for my needs whilst the Markbass might be what I'm after (despite the price difference). After your post I've looked at the GK and the ability to sling a 15" combo over the shoulder seems way too good to be true, is it really that portable, and if so, does the bag in question come with the amp or is it an extra cost, the listings I checked were a little ambiguous?

Cheers

Chris[/quote]

hi Chris, it's a 12" and also not very deep so relatively easy to carry, and not very cumbersome. The Rockbag case you can see [url="http://www.warwick-distribution.de/?katID=21567&cl=EN&did=5"]here[/url]. (4th item down). I got mine for around 35 to 40 quid from Thomann a couple of years ago i think. It's decent quality with good amount of storage, and the GK combo fits in there like a glove. I didn't really trust the shoulder strap metal links so I reinforced with some cable ties, just in case. However it's been fine, and the strap itself is padded and reasonably comfortable. However, there's no carrying handle. It's over the shoulder or not at all, unless you have very short arms. I improvised a carry handle myself with a spare bag strap I had.
Portability wise, I've done a good 15min walk with it in my shoulder and it was portable enough to get around on the tube etc. I was glad to put it down though once I'd arrived at my destination. A rucksack style double strapped bag would be better, or even a small luggage bag on rollers.

[quote name='Beedster' post='699772' date='Jan 3 2010, 06:19 PM']I really like the ability to carry this thing easily in one hand, with a bass in the other. I like it's shape; I always find that, irrespective of weight, square combos are never particularly easy to carry and I tend to end up with a sore knee from the banging (I recently sold my Markbass 1x12 combo for that reason). The options as I see it are a Briefcase/Minimark-type combo, seperate head/cab, one of which will go on my back (but in my experience it's usually the head, leaving me with a 1x12 or bigger still banging against my knee), or a combo like the GK which will also go on my back. TBH at the moment I'd prefer either the briefcase or the minimark as it unit will have to double as my practice amp and space is at something of a premium chez Beedster (there's a rather large Mesa rig taking up quite a lot of it).[/quote]

i don't have any knee-knocking problems with the GK. It looks like it's smaller than the Minimark too.

Minimark - 8.86w x 17.24h x 15.24d
GK MB150 - 8.5 x 16 x 13.5

I hope I don't seem like a GK evangelist, I'm not :rolleyes: It's just that it ticked all the checkboxes for me. I'd be looking at the Minimark too if I was in your situation. The only thing that annoyed me about the GK in fact was that their website used to say it had a line-in, and this was one of the reasons I bought it. However, it doesn't have a line-in. I never heard back from them either when I raised the issue with them about the discrepancy. For the Minimark, I'd say it looks pretty good. More power/headroom than the GK, although EQ is relatively basic.

I thinks thats all I have to add :)

Choose wisely... (if you're up my way, you're welcome to come and check out the GK)

G

Hello,I would second the GK,for sound ,volume & portability,used mine now for over twelve months with a 5 piece blues band & also at jam sessions where I have been with a drummer behind a keyboard player & up to five other guitar players all at once (& that was without an ext cab)always cuts thro & amazes onlookers that something so small is not a practice amp & can deliver so much vol & tone all on its own.When I play at our local pub (about 10 minute walk) I always turn up on foot with a bass on my back & the gk in one hand,wouldn't swap it for anything,try one if you can,all the best in your search,mike b.