Why become a member? ×

BLX-80 - Mains hum

Guest MoJo

I recently purchased a Trace Elliot BLX-80 combo from one of the other members here on the forum. When I got it home I noticed it had a noticable hum when switched on regardless of whether my bass was plugged in or not. Googling GP7 mains hum, I found a thread that stated the GP7's were prone to failure of the smoothing capacitors. Two new capacitors were purchased and the hum, although not completely irradicated seemed to be a lot better. Fast forward to yesterday and I fired up the amp for the first time since the New Year's Eve gig and the hum is as bad as ever (if not worse). Switching in the ground lift results in some nasty electrical noises through the speaker (almost like arcing).

Is there something in particular that I could look at? Could this be down to a poor earth or dry soldered joint?

HELP :)

Mark

did the seller inform you of this problem? If not, i suggest you kindly invite him to cover any costs to sort this problem out :)

This is basically the same as the blx130 i used to own, and that was silent in operation.

The seller didn't inform me of the problem, no and may not have been aware that there was a problem. It may have always been like that since he had it. As I only paid £50 for it, I'm not going to kick up a big fuss. I just want to get it fixed.

Mark

Longer ago than I care to remember..I had a Series 6 AH100 that was great for two years, then started humming and crackling. Phoned TE and they said they'd pick it up and fix it for no charge, and they did. They said it was a connector block/plug inside that shrunk and pulled at the connecting wires between circuit boards - I got the impression it was a very common issue with Series 6 products for the first year or so?

After that it was a great little amp.

I also have this problem with my BLX-130, although it comes and goes, and only occurs briefly each time. Normally turning it off and leaving it for a while or putting the speaker cable into the other jack solves this. Sometimes the hum overpowers the actual bass sound, and the volume goes down to all but nothing, but this is quite rare.

Oops, i think this was mine, i also bought it from a forum member for £50 but never got a chance to use it outside the bedroom, and only then at tiny volume just to check it worked before life fell apart and i had to sell it. No hum in my room though?, odd. Of course you can return it if you like boss really sorry about that. :-(

If I can cure the problem, I've decided to hang on to it, especially as I've found since opening it up that it was built on my birthday (10th Jan) in 1994. It was fate that brought us together. Appreciate the offer though :)