Why become a member? ×

Cleaning a pickguard

Rayman

I will hopefully be taking delivery of an old Squier Precision in the next week or two, but the previous owner has painted the white pickguard with grey paint.

Is there anything I can try to remove the paint without damaging the guard itself underneath?

[quote name='Rayman' post='698041' date='Jan 1 2010, 03:50 PM']I will hopefully be taking delivery of an old Squier Precision in the next week or two, but the previous owner has painted the white pickguard with grey paint.

Is there anything I can try to remove the paint without damaging the guard itself underneath?[/quote]

White spirit?

Depends on the paint.

I think that as you would have to remove the pickguard anyway, you may as well have a bash with some fine wire wool and some turps.

The paint will either come off easily or it will be a real bugger..

Invest in a new one methinks..

Well I've got a US one coming, but of course it might not fit.

I'll see how easily the paint will flake off first as I can see some flaking from the pictures of it. I don't fancy wire wool because I want to avoid swirls on the plastic after I've finished. Maybe acetone will do it, but obviously I want to avoind melting the guard in any way.

[quote name='Rayman' post='698082' date='Jan 1 2010, 04:24 PM']Well I've got a US one coming, but of course it might not fit.

I'll see how easily the paint will flake off first as I can see some flaking from the pictures of it. I don't fancy wire wool because I want to avoid swirls on the plastic after I've finished. Maybe acetone will do it, but obviously I want to avoind melting the guard in any way.[/quote]

It'll depend on two things - what it's been painted with & what the pickguard is actually made of...

Popular paints - Remove with:

1: Enamel paint (e.g. Humbrol)/Poly - Nitromors or similar
2: Hobby Acrylic/Shellac (French Polish) - Meths/Isopropyl Alcohol
3: Cellulose - Acetone or Xylene (Hammerite thinners)
4: All of the above - Caustic Soda (Washing Soda if you're into Zen & The Art of Paint Stripping)

If the pickguard is modern plastic avoid 1 & 3 as they're likely to melt it. If it's nitrocellulose/bakelite avoid 4 at all costs.

Try a cotton bud on the back where it won't show to see if the solvent damages the 'guard.

The alternative is to use abrasives, which will destroy the shine. Two ways round this - 1) finish up with 1200/1500/2000 grit wet & dry (used wet) & then polish it up with a coarse cloth & some T-Cut or old Brasso (any metal polish that comes in a tube would be a good bet too), 2) give it a quick spray with some clear varnish from Halfords.

Pete.

Like Dandelion says it really depends on the paint. You may well be able to scratch off most of it with a fingernail just going steady. It's not always popular at home but I've used my wife's nail polish remover for paint removing in the past. Failing that go with Wayne's white spirit. Just remember try a little bit on a small area at first with whatever you try.