Why become a member? ×

looking into maybe getting a new amp

0175westwood29

i currently have a ampeg pro 6 of which i love the sound but have never really been comfortable with!

the di failed on it at the weekend, luckily i had my lm2 with me as a back up but this is the second time something has gone wrong with it!

ive had it a year nearly and ive never felt really comfortable with it when gigging! which sucks as i really dnt wanna be going thru changing gear again! but i want something i can plug in and go!

so here we go, im looking at getting something that's around the same wattage as the peg at 4 ohms, possibly with to channels not to concerned bout weight but no heavier than the pro. which rules out all valves, but this doesn't concern me.

im looking at the gk 2001rb which Ive seen for 859, the harke kilo again around 865 ive only tried the lh1000 and it wasnt to bad was thru a random cab.

those are the ideas Ive had i welcome some suggestions or ideas?

andy

[quote name='chris_b' post='696265' date='Dec 30 2009, 12:45 PM']Do you really need 1100 watts?! I think you're into power/pre territory when you get to those numbers. On the other hand, what kind of a job did your LM2 do? Maybe that’s all you really need?[/quote]

it did the job ok, was loud enough with the pa support, thing is i reckon the pro-6's output is more about 800w at 4 ohms imo.

i just kinda like the idea of having some extra watts in there.

plus i kinda want to get a nice bit of growl out of the amp naturally had to use a pedal with the lm2

i like the 2001rb's dual channels to can set up to tone which is cool.

but as i said any suggestions just put em out there, my mind is alot broader now than when i got the ampeg.

my band plays loud heavy rock/metal and some more funky/ bluesy rock numbers.

andy

ok so ive been looking into the 2001rb today and it looks like a really solid bit of gear!

has the power i'd be looking for, is around the same weight as the pro 6, has some cool features on it, and could also be used at small gigs with a small cab only using one of its power amps.

im just wandering if there are any views on it? and also does it draw a silly amount of current like my pro 6 does?

andy

Edited by 0175westwood29

[quote name='Musicman20' post='696679' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:19 PM']I reckon a GK 1001 would be enough...definitely.

If you want to stay small, and would like a more tubey amp with lots of options, I seriously would test the TC Elec RH450. Once I heard one I had to have one....its a really really nice amp.

Don't let the 450 rating put you off...[/quote]

im going to go to the shop this time with a much broader mind, i now know that the outputs aren't always true!

im gonna really test drive the 1001rb properly! as the 2001 is basically 2 put together.

ive been offered a higher price than on the net around £1299 for the 2001 and about £749 for the 1001 just encase i like it and think its enough, but tbh i like the idea of having two channels and the silly headroom!

also looked into trying to find a second hand mesa boogie bb750, but there like unicorn poo! and all the mesa amps are to pricey new!

im aware for the 1299 id get the 2001 for i could also grab a ad200 orange or a svt cl, but not sure i can deal with the silly weight of the all tube amps again!

but i may have to try them out!

anyone care to put anymore suggestions forward?

andy