Why become a member? ×

My studio

slaphappygarry

In the few weeks downtime i have for my studio i decided to learn to solder and rewire my studio racks.

Here is how it looked yesterday afternoon:

and with all the new wires (pre solder :huh:):

And here is how it is now:

Everything has been balanced and a few little hum and hiss problems have totally gone. :)

The really great thing about my setup is that the top rack is my portable rig and only requires the mac to be a powerful 8 input (and once i get new pre's - 16 input) rig. I am running the M-Audio 1814 sound card and use ASR MX-8 Preamps which suck but do the job. I also have a wee Presonus Tube Pre up there too which is a nice little pre amp. There is also an external 500gb drive in that top rig so everything is in the one box.

The bottom rig is the static one which has the TC M-one FX unit which i use for delays and reverbs and the patchbay which everything is routed too. I am waiting on another track to house the 160gb library drive i have. There is plenty of space in this one for future gadgets too :huh: The power amp is hooked up to tannoy speakers (pictures above).

Cool :huh:

G

Yeah I can see how the 2 inputs could become restrictive, thankfully our drummer has a rich friend so band recordings can be done there.

I'm trying to sort out a laptop at the moment, the macbook looks lovely although I don't think I can really justify the extra cost. Looks like it will be a Lenovo I end up with. Mind you I'm using a 1.5ghz Celeron Toshiba at the moment with Live and it runs a lot better than I expected!

Awesome Gary - looks ace - I'll have to study it in more detail when I have time - one question that springs to mind is any idea how much a used MOTU 828 goes for these days? Just thought you - or others here - might know - I think I can borrow one.

Last other question - and slightly cheeky (PM if you prefer) but how much did all those bits and bobs (minus laptop) cost you?

Cheers dude

Mike

Hey Urb,

I would hate to add it up but here goes:

Tube pre - £70
1814 sound card - £320
Pre amps - £80
Hard drive/hub - £150
TC M One Xl - £350
Patch Bay - £30
Racks - £80
Power amp - £100 (included another rack i use elsewhere)
leads and stuff - £80+ i think. I bought alot as i went along and made the rest.
extra bits - £60+

Add that up and its a little over a grand. The pre amps are very basic though. I do not recommend them to anyone dead serious about production.

That and the half dozen mics and stands and xlr's and pop shields and head phones and and and and and ......

G

Wicked - thanks G - I think it's all very reasonable really - considering what it would have cost 10 years ago etc.

Unfortuntely I'm about to pay for my new Sei bass - and that's my last 'toy' for a while - but I will start to put something like a home studio together at some point - it's good to see how you have done yours.

M

sweet setup there!!
Is the hard drive just a usb input and does it handle recording lots of track simultaneously and is it quiet enough to record in the same room?
I've got a lacie hard drive and it's noisy as hell so generally record to my mac's hard drive and just use the hard drive for archiving stuff.

This is something that I'm very tempted to do - we have the space in the garage and a small office above that could easily become a control room :)

I dunno a lot about recording (always done live), I have a Studiomaster Proline Gold 16-8-16 desk so am assuming that firstly I need a soundcard that can take 16 (8 if I just go from the groups - will prolly be plenty for what I'll do) line inputs - any recommendations?