Why become a member? ×

Fleabass

Rayman

[quote name='silddx' post='712643' date='Jan 14 2010, 03:08 PM']Fantastic! The EMG is good then? Wondering if I should swap the EMG Selects for your EMG model in my Steinberger Spirit. The EMG Selects are not much cop.[/quote]

Yeah I'm impressed with it. Quite a high output and nice and punchy. I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from it, I just hoped it would be better than the toy pickup the bass came with, it is, and it's great. I'll reserve the final judgement for after I've at least rehearsed with it in the band. The EMG-35HZ is a passive pickup FYI.

Yeah, I've seen him he's good isn't he? Obviously there are other EQ factors involved in his particular recording, and his tone with the EMG is too harsh for me, I'd be rolling some top end off that.

His original pickup actually sounds quite nice on a couple of those sections I notice, especially the first one.

[quote name='Rayman' post='712653' date='Jan 14 2010, 03:16 PM']Yeah I'm impressed with it. Quite a high output and nice and punchy. I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting a lot from it, I just hoped it would be better than the toy pickup the bass came with, it is, and it's great. I'll reserve the final judgement for after I've at least rehearsed with it in the band. The EMG-35HZ is a passive pickup FYI.[/quote]
Brilliant, thanks. Yes, passive is what I'm after.

Cheers.

• 5 weeks later...

Rehearsed with the bass within a band setting a couple of nights ago.

Very pleased with it. The sound of the EMG punches through nicely, not the same kind of cut you can get from an active bass of course, but there's a nice click and plenty of bottom end. The band liked it, and in fact the drummer prefered it to the tone of the Sadowsky, so I guess that's a good thing in this basses favour, although I wouldn't agree with him on that particular point, it does sound great though.

I like the way it looks, and I like the way it plays, now I like the way it sounds. Yes, I've thrown money at it, but I think it was worth it for the end result. Will I make it active at some point? Nah, it's fine now as it is. It has it's own voice, it sounds different to my other two basses, and I'll be including it in the live set up from now on. Maybe at some point I'll track down a Modulus Flea to sit next to it on the stand, they'd make a great pair.

The following link is to an eastern website detailing some customisation of a fleabass with a basslines pup and Auilar 2 band EQ:

[url="http://redhotchilipeppersfan.g.hatena.ne.jp/theadmin/?word=*%5BFLEABASS%5D"]http://redhotchilipeppersfan.g.hatena.ne.j...*%5BFLEABASS%5D[/url]

Scroll down a bit to get to the pics of the bass. Unfortunately none of the text is in English, but you get the idea.

Is [i]this[/i] the bass Flea intends to use live rather than the stock bass you and I can buy? It would make sense.

• 1 month later...

I have just picked up a short scale one of these for my daughter for £220 off Ebay. It needs some setting up but it is a sound instrument and MUCH nicer than the Encore short scales (as it should be for costing that much more - but that is not always so). It looks like it will be a lot of fun. I have a spare set of Gotoh machines which can go on (not that it needs them, but they are sitting in my basement and she might as well have the use of them) and will prob eventually change the pick up when something suitable appears 2nd hand.

It is very nice and with fitted gig bag included it is all good. I can see myself messing with putting a piezo in at some stage to make a pretend Rob Allen mouse :)

Edited by owen

Shame about the work you had to have done (although it sounds like you've got what you wanted out of it and made it more personal!) but I think I may have to try one of these the "Wild One" black/white looks really nice -- I may check over things you've said about it first, though!

At Frankfurt they had these in a whole bunch of other colours -

Pink with white plate
Silver with black plate
White with black plate.

Didnt play them but walked past countless times, not sure if they were new models or just for the show. Theres nothing on their site or online generally about new models at the moment