Why become a member? ×

help busted my little finger on fretting hand

hagguy

hi everyone i've recently torn a tendon in my little finger on my fretting hand (mallet finger) its called so my finger is in a splint for 8 weeks!!!!
need some advice on adjusting my techneque to allow this to heal i can still play but quite limited to certain stuff
needless to say this is super frustrating and would appreciate any input as to what i can do was told this is quite a common
injury so hopefully you guys can help me out. just bought a sandberg from this forum so determined not to throw in the towel yet

[quote name='King Tut' post='694647' date='Dec 28 2009, 02:37 AM']Hi Mate - I've been getting a lot of pain in the same finger for a few months. How do you know you've torn a tendon - did you have an accident?[/quote]

hi mate if you've torn the tendon you will know all about it. it hurts like a b*stard plus you cant straighten it fully
my injury is at the joint nearest the tip so it droops downward. before it tore i had a thing i now know is called
trigger finger where the joint would overstretch and feel like it was locked up i thought it was a double joint
wrong!!!! if you have the same get it checked im off work cause of this seems like nothing but is honestly
a total pain in the arse even washing my hands is a mission hope this helps a bit

[quote name='billphreets' post='694687' date='Dec 28 2009, 08:57 AM']perfect time to practice right hand technique and theory.. i would`nt risk further injury m8... i sincerely hope it gets better soon ; )[/quote]

cheers man think ive got all i need right hand wise. was trying to get smoother and quicker with my fretting hand before this
thanks the advice tho :rolleyes: :lol: :)

Bad luck with the tendon - is it a fairly easy mend?

I think old Francis Rocco Prestia's a good example of holding down a great bassline without using his whole left hand (I think he only uses his first two fingers!), perhaps have a look at the way he plays.

All the best and hope you're recovered soon!

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

I bust a tendon in my right hand years ago.

I really think you should try and not play for however long the Doc has recommended you rest for as even if you're using other fingers you'll still be moving the muscle. I only rested mine for a fortnight and it kept going - took me years to heal, still gives me gip now TBH :)

Enjoy the rest - spend the time working on theory :rolleyes: