Why become a member? ×

Risky Punt!? Status Fretless 5er

bassatnight

Folks,

I have set my heart this coming year on getting to grips with a fretless and was also thinking about getting my first 5 string. I though I'd start with something farily cheap in case I don't get on with it so have just won a 5 string Status Graphite Fretless on E-Bay for £330. This was very much a punt as I have no idea if its worth the money I paid which is unlike me, to be honest I am gob smacked I won it I was full of Christmas ale at the time - and thats my excuse!

Does anyone know of their pedigree are they any good or have I just wasted £300?

Steve.

IMO, you got an excellent deal there bonny lad! Status basses are always top quality instruments, and although they do make a few "budget" guitars, as far as I am aware they are still made to the same exacting standards as the flagship models. You don't say which model your new guitar is, but whatever it is you got a bargain there!

[quote name='Conan' post='694224' date='Dec 27 2009, 12:49 PM']IMO, you got an excellent deal there bonny lad![/quote]

+1

I can't remember ever seeing a graphite necked Status selling for under £450, and it would probably still be a good price at £450! Status as a brand are generally highly regarded as a top manufacturer and make instruments aimed towards the top end of the market. To give you an idea, the cheapest price they quote on their price list is £1395... so £330 is a steal for a graphite 5 string :) You'll have to get some pics up when it arrives!

I had a feeling that it might be a cheaper model, oh well lets hope its ok!

Thanks for the comments lads...

cheers,

Steve.[quote name='oldslapper' post='694324' date='Dec 27 2009, 03:31 PM']If it's the black status shark 5 string fretless I saw ending recently, it's still a great buy for £330 even with a "wood" neck (2 reinforced graphite rods I believe?).[/quote]

That was bought from American Guitar Centre I believe? Bit cheeky of them describing it as 'Status Graphite' given that - I think - it's pretty much all wood, but even so the price was really good, well done! It's a good'un for a newbie to fretless playing as not only does it have lines, but also dots between these lines as opposed to on them (i.e., a similar configuration visually to a fretted).

As someone said above, Status don't make bad basses, doesn't mean you're gonna like it, especially if like me you're more of a Fender kinda guy, but still at that price it's a great way to find out!

Good luck

PS I got VERY lucky on ebay.com over Xmas also, all to be revealed :)

Steve they're great guitars...don't think that just coz it's not a graphite neck it's not a damn fine instrument. It's made in england by the same people. Enjoy! My Groove bass has got one of the best neck profiles for me, and that's considered a "budget" bass. I've had a Status graphite neck on a custom jazz, didn't get on with it at all, it went out the door as quickly as it came in. I just prefer the wood. But anyway, expensive stuff is wasted on me anyway! :)