Why become a member? ×

Bass Questionnaire Questions

jackp86

Hi
My name is Jack I am a bass player I play both bass guitar and string bass. I am currently studying the MA level in popular music. Part of the course requires that I do a project into an area which interests me.
I have chosen to research into the role of the bass player with the shift from the string bass to the bass guitar within the 1950s to present and including popular music styles. I was wondering if you could please help me by answering a short questionnaire in relation to this, to form a true opinion.
Thank you for your time and for helping me with this.

Jack

1) How long have you been playing Bass Guitar/String Bass for or both?

2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?

3) Who are your favourite exponents of both string bass/bass guitar?

4) Do you think that both the bass guitar and string bass are important as bass instruments?

5) What genres do you think are important for bass players to listen to?

6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?

7) Do you think bass can be used to solo as well as accompany other instruments?

8) Do you think it is important to learn to sight read?

9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role?

10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?

11) What is the best amp to use for bass guitar or string bass?

12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?

[quote name='jackp86' post='692295' date='Dec 23 2009, 01:07 PM']Hi
My name is Jack I am a bass player I play both bass guitar and string bass. I am currently studying the MA level in popular music. Part of the course requires that I do a project into an area which interests me.
I have chosen to research into the role of the bass player with the shift from the string bass to the bass guitar within the 1950s to present and including popular music styles. I was wondering if you could please help me by answering a short questionnaire in relation to this, to form a true opinion.

Jack

2) If you don’t play string bass/bass guitar have you thought of doubling up on either to get more recognition as a bass player?

4) Do you think that both the bass guitar and string bass are important as bass instruments?

6) Do you think electric guitarists can learn to play bass guitar more than string bass?

7) Do you think bass can be used to solo as well as accompany other instruments?

9) What do you think of bass guitars such as 5 string/6 string e.g. as being an add-on to the bass players role?

10) What are your opinions on electric upright basses as a substitute for the string bass?

12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?[/quote]

Hello there Jack..i would be happy to help..

1..10 years..

2... i take it you mean upright..yes i have but you dont need to play it to be recognised...you dont have be recognised to enjoy playing it.

3...Willie Weeks, Randy Hope Taylor, Meshell ndegeocello, Pino Palladino, Molan, Dale Black, Andrew Gouche..there are so many greats...

4...Yes, there are both the same in respect of music

5...All of them

6...?

7...well of course bro if you and the band want to...joy can come from a well placed solo..

8...It depends on what you want from the instrument...do you want to make a living from electric bass?

9... horses for courses Jack...if you need, you do...some people or styles depict wether you play a certain amount of strings on your instrument

10..a certain tone/song, needs a certain bass...there should be no substitute..

11...You need to hear to invest Jack...most of these Q's are what you may think if you try...im sure you may get lots of opinions...but im sure every one will say what i just did..

12...Well any passive pickups...some say certain brands are better, but this comes down to personal choice...it also depends on the bass..if your talking about a passive instrument there are many..Nordstrand, Lindy Fralins, Wizards, Fender,etc...

im a big fan of Bartolinis, very cool sounding pups..but this is all subjective of course..the best passive pups are (like you said) only giving you what the instrument designers want you to hear, not coloured in any way...but there are many options...

hope this helps bro

hi jack
you dont live in the back of the greta garbo home for wayward boys and girls...by any chance...

[url="http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/My-Name-Is-Jack-lyrics-Manfred-Mann%27s-Earth-Band/AE4896DAF6005A2148256EE0000FDCB0"]http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/My-...8256EE0000FDCB0[/url]

:)
here you are you cheeky monkey

20 YEARS

N/A..[i][b]ps i doubled on bass from saxes and woodwind[/b][/i]

ABRAHAM LABORIEL SENIOR...RE LIFT HIM UP CD

BOTH ARE IMPORTANT FOR THE SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF THE ARRANGER

CLASSICAL AND JAZZ

SHAPE AND METHOD OF USE OF ELECTRIC BASS IS SIMILAR TO ELECTRIC GUITAR..UPRIGHT BASS IS EVEN HARD FOR AN ELECTRIC BASSIST...NEED TO PRACTICE HAND POSITIONS AND GET USED TO NO FRETS

IT IS AT PRESENT IN JAZZ..YES!

VERY IMPORTANT..IT HELPS THE PLAYER TO UNDERSTAND COMPOSITION AND STRUCTURE...AND THOSE ELUSIVE DYNAMICS WHICH SEEM TO HAVE BEEN FORGOTTEN

NOT ESSENTIAL IN A VAST AMOUNT OF CASES...THEY AFFORD GREATER RANGE BUT INCLUDE THE TONAL RANGE OF THE FOUR STRING...IN MY OPINION ARE HYBRID AS OPPOSED TO A BROTHER INSTRUMENT AS IN OBOE/COR FLUTE/PICCOLO

I DONT PLAY THEM TO BE ABLE TO BE DEFINITE BUT I THINK A MIKED UP OR AMPLIFIED STRING BASS HAS MORE FIDELITY TO ORIGINAL TONE AGAINST AN ELECTRIC UPRIGHT...WOOD AND SOUND CHAMBER ARE CRITICAL TO UPRIGHT CLARITY OF TONE

MANUFACTURERS VARY IN COLOURATION OF TONE..BUT I WOULD SUGGEST A SEPARATE AMPLIFIER TO CABINET ALLOWS MORE FLEXIBILITY FOR ADAPTATION. THIS IS A DIFFICULT QUESTION TO ANSWER RE: BEST

12) What pickups for string bass are the best for capturing the natural tone of the instrument?

I AM NOT AWARE OF ALL THE ALTERNATIVES BUT WOULD HAZARD A GUESS AT PIEZO AS BEING NON MAGNETIC PRODUCED SIGNAL AND PERHAPS MORE WOODY BEING PART OF THE BUILD OF THE BASS

there we are!
glad to be of some assistance

the mysterious crow

Edited by mrcrow

Bass guitar on and off for 9 years.

I don't get what you mean.

Exponents? Not really sure I know what you mean. Pardon my ignorance.

I only play bass guitar so can't comment on uprights but they, to me, are a fundamental part of any musical composition and give it the extra depth.

Blues, Funk, and rock.

I think it's possibly and easier transition from guitar to bass guitar than to an upright as the playing style is similar minus the chords.

Yea but without drums behind it it sounds empty.

Depends on the type of music you play. Someone playing in an originals banf for example wouldn't really need it.

I play a 5 string bass and wouldn't be without the bottom end now. Although I struggle to understand the purpose of a 6 string bass, surely it could just be as good as a barotone guitar? Each to their own though.

I don't have an opinion. Each to their own.

One that fits the player. There is no single best amp as each has it's own characterists and appeal to different players.

I have EMG-HZ's on my bass and I'm more than happy with those. Never liked single coils though. Always felt a bit tinny.

Edited by Sarah5string

[quote name='jackp86' post='692295' date='Dec 23 2009, 01:07 PM']Hi

Jack

On and off for about 6 years

No - its better for me to focus on one instrument and get recognition that way

Geddy Lee, Rodger Walters

Completely

They should listen to all genres

If you mean is it easier for a guitarist to switch to bass guitar rather than string the the answer is yes

Obviously

No

Not an add on - a different way of playing

No opinion

No one answer

dont know[/quote]

Bass Guitar - 19 years

Not really. I play rock, metal and some blues so no call for upright. Would be nice, but I can't justify the space required.

Too numerous to mention, but one of my favourite players is Michael Lepond of Symphony X

Yes

All genres

Yes.
a)Entry level electric basses are cheaper
b)the shorter scale and frets make them easier to play
c) they're easier to record and amplify

Yes.

Yes, but how often your sight reading skills will be needed depends on the type of music and type of group/ensemble

They serve a valid purpose provided the extended range is used tastefully.

They serve a purpose. They're smaller and easier to transport and less susceptible to extremes of temperature. If you play a mixture of arco and pizz then they are the logical alternative to a string bass.

The one that produces the sound you want to hear. You might not even need an amp.

Can't really comment, but I would have thought a microphone would be best.

i really appreciate the thought that sight reading gives your playing structure, but does this not apply to someone who reads someone elses music..as for dynamics, i think this comes from your own personality, touch, sensitivity, erm...reading the music (by ear) not sight..

as for number 5 answers from Mcrow and S5S, i totally disagree...any music is relevant in any instrument.there is no certain music to listen to as a bass player or any other..you can learn from anyone in any genre....any one who doesnt, is missing something in there playing...if we all thought like that knowone would move forward..

and solos have no bounds in any instrument....as long as its done tastefully....i want musical instrument playing to evolve, not to be stuck by constraints

IMVHO :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by bubinga5

Welcome Jack

+1 for a web monkey type online survey

And please ask one question at a time :)

Do you just mean a full bodied double bass or are Electric Upright Basses included?

- Which question do you want answered? :rolleyes:

- You'd get more useful information using open questions.. I guess this may be your intent.

- ha ha that's fightin' talk round these parts .. Oh and do you mean really play or play a bit?

- more fightin' talk :lol: You havn't been sent by that drummers' forum have you?

Good luck :lol:

OG

Edited by OldGit