Why become a member? ×

Strap pin replacement on 70's PBass

exmando

The strap pin on my 1970 P has popped out - the wood seems a little soft in the area and I am sceptical about replacing it - the idea of relying on a screwed-in pin particularly when it's straight into the wood seems wrong to me - is there an alternative... I was wondering about getting a threaded catcher of some kind which I could glue or otherwise mount more securely into the body which would spread the load a bit

The simplest fix is to glue a few cocktail sticks into the hole then screw the strap button back in once the glue is dry. The felt washer should hide a repair of this nature.

It'll be right as rain once the edges of the hole are shored up. It's taken nearly 40 years to come out after all.

[quote name='neepheid' post='690488' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:24 AM']The simplest fix is to glue a few cocktail sticks into the hole then screw the strap button back in once the glue is dry. The felt washer should hide a repair of this nature.

It'll be right as rain once the edges of the hole are shored up. It's taken nearly 40 years to come out after all.[/quote]
+1. Ever single ole Fender I've owned has had this done to it.