Why become a member? ×

Cold bass guitars?

Jesso

I'm a bit worried, because I've left a (nameless and rather crap) 15" speaker cab in the shed throughout this snowy period (my brother put it in there on thursday night) with nothing more than a small rug on top of it to keep some of the damp off.

I'm putting a new speaker in regardless in the new year. So should be alright! (fingers crossed) I'll have to get a decal made up and call it something like The Iceman. :)

[quote name='Jesso' post='690580' date='Dec 21 2009, 12:54 PM']I really should know this, but is a 73 P nitro or polly?[/quote]

Fender changed to using Polyester in 1968:

[url="http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#pbass"]http://www.provide.net/~cfh/fender2.html#pbass[/url]

And FWIW I wouldn't leave a wood instrument in the back of a van, extreme changes in temperature and humidity (likely to occur due to night/daytime differences) may well cause wood to swell and twist. Your call, but if it was mine I would take the basses with me.

Edited by alanbass1

When I was on tour around Europe this time last year for 2 weeks, we had temperatures of -10 during the night when we were travelling. All the gear was in hardcases loaded into either a trailer or 7.5ton lorry. None had heating. We would finish the gig at 12, and load out by 1 or 3 am. Most of the load out was done in the snow with the guitars going in last. These are profesional musicians and wouldnt risk thier gear. They never had problems with leaving the gear in the cold over night.

My brother left a laney bass amp in my dads garage about 10 years ago. The garage isnt heated or well insulated and the amp wasnt covered or in a case. It was left below my dads workbench and was covered in all sorts of crap. However, I plugged it in a few weeks ago and it worked as it did when it was left there.

I played in Glasgow with my band last Friday night,in a place called Rockers.....it was freezing cold outside,and my guitar had been in my home office all day(wee room with rubbish,dvds etc) I put it in a soft gig bag,out into my van for the 30 minute drive to Glasgow,then into the band room of the venue......After about an hour,I tuned it and then we sound checked.....it was well out on a couple of strings......I might have bumped into something on the stage,as its a bit compact and we are a 5 piece band....
After the sound check,I tuned it and checked it a couple of times.....I have a small Korg tuner,with the built in mike.....It seemed to be picking up everysound in the venue,so I used the guitar players tuner on his zoom pedal..... When we started to play...it was out of tune again.....I wished the stage would open up and swallow me......I tuned it during the song,but everybody in the bloody place noticed!........Something to do with the hot,then cold,then hot situation maybe!.....its a Tokai Jazz sound bass,never had any tuning issues before.....though the strings were a couple of weeks old...so maybe not played in yet!...any one else had this trouble?

I leave my bass and guitar in padded gig bags my studio, which is a converted garage. So PC, synth, mixer, amps, speakers etc also in there. It's well insulated but can go down to 0 deg if it's -5 outside. No probs to date. I have a hygrometer in there and constantly keep an eye on the humidity which I stabilise with a de-humdifier after any life form has been in the room for a period of time. I also have two large open tins of rock salt as a contingency

When I go in the room I obviously turn the heater on especially in the kind of temperature we're currently having. I don't often get my guitars out straight waay. Too obsessed with creating trance/dance looped stuff at the moment. So with the forementioned precautions I feel my gear is safe. And yes it is alarmed.

[quote name='theplumber' post='690890' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:02 PM']I played in Glasgow with my band last Friday night,in a place called Rockers.....it was freezing cold outside,and my guitar had been in my home office all day(wee room with rubbish,dvds etc) I put it in a soft gig bag,out into my van for the 30 minute drive to Glasgow,then into the band room of the venue......After about an hour,I tuned it and then we sound checked.....it was well out on a couple of strings......I might have bumped into something on the stage,as its a bit compact and we are a 5 piece band....
After the sound check,I tuned it and checked it a couple of times.....I have a small Korg tuner,with the built in mike.....It seemed to be picking up everysound in the venue,so I used the guitar players tuner on his zoom pedal..... When we started to play...it was out of tune again.....I wished the stage would open up and swallow me......I tuned it during the song,but everybody in the bloody place noticed!........Something to do with the hot,then cold,then hot situation maybe!.....its a Tokai Jazz sound bass,never had any tuning issues before.....though the strings were a couple of weeks old...so maybe not played in yet!...any one else had this trouble?[/quote]

Yep, going from cold to hot will cause tuning issues - however, the situation normally settles down after an hour when left on a stand so if you get there early enough then you should normally be OK. With regard to leaving stuff in vans overnight etc, I know lots of people who have done that without apparent issues, especially when the instrument is in a flight case. If the tour crew were doing their job they would ensure the cases were not opened for at least an hour after unloading at the venue which allows the instruments to slowly aclimatise to whatever the conditions are at the venue. However, I know at least two people who wrecked the necks on their instruments by leaving them in their garage in all weathers. At the end of the day I wouldn't risk it.

[quote name='Jesso' post='690110' date='Dec 20 2009, 08:22 PM']Here's my question.
My band has a van, which is insulated (i.e. wood panels with some insulation behind them) and is kept in a shed.
We gig a lot, and it's a huge amount of bother to unload the equipment when we get home (sometimes it could be 5am in the morning).
Everyone is knackered, so we usually just leave everything securely locked away in the van. Sometimes the gear could stay in the van for up to a week, but usually it's only a night or two.
I know that it's probably ok to leave the P.A. and even the amps in the van overnight when it's cold, but I feel like over a long period of time it might be bad for guitars.
We keep them (obviously) in their cases. Sometimes when I bring them in from the van they are really cold... I've read that you should try to treat instruments as you would treat a person (temperature wise)... but I don't know if thats true or not.
So far, I haven't noticed any bad effects, and my bass has not warped or anything wierd. It's a modern Fender Stu Hamm urge.
I'm thinking about making a vintage P bass (valuable!) into my main gigging bass, so I'm a bit cautious about leaving it in the cold...
Would a top of the line insulated flight case be any better than the normal fender case?
Any ideas much appreciated.

Jesse[/quote]

bring any thing up to temperature slowly and without introduction of moist air..
cameras
electronics
wood