Why become a member? ×

Valve issue

bassjamm

Hi everyone,

I've just taken receipt of a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket pedal from a seller on ebay.

Now I'm no genius when it comes to things like this, but am I right in thinking that valves have an orange glow about them when they're in good order, and that when they're gone, the silver top bit seems to be more cloudy?

Thing is, the two 12AX7A's that are in there, well, one seems to look fine, the other doesn't. The dodgy looking one hasn't got a glow at all really :)

I've had a good play about with it, but can't seem to hear any problems tonally. Am I doing something wrong? Or is the valve gone d'you reckon?

In a darkened room, only one is visibly glowing!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jamie

[quote name='ahpook' post='687610' date='Dec 17 2009, 06:49 PM']valves don't always glow - when i was swapping round valves in the dha pedal i had a while back, some would light up, some wouldn't.

if it sounds ok, i wouldn't worry about it.[/quote]

:) it sounds beasty to me :rolleyes:

thank you kind sir

[quote name='bassjamm' post='687606' date='Dec 17 2009, 06:46 PM']Hi everyone,

I've just taken receipt of a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket pedal from a seller on ebay.

Now I'm no genius when it comes to things like this, but am I right in thinking that valves have an orange glow about them when they're in good order, and that when they're gone, the silver top bit seems to be more cloudy?

Thing is, the two 12AX7A's that are in there, well, one seems to look fine, the other doesn't. The dodgy looking one hasn't got a glow at all really :)

I've had a good play about with it, but can't seem to hear any problems tonally. Am I doing something wrong? Or is the valve gone d'you reckon?

In a darkened room, only one is visibly glowing!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jamie[/quote]
if the silver on the top is beginning to fade away thats an indication the valve is on its way out, not all valves glow though especially if there being underrun