Why become a member? ×

Matamp GT200

Mizzle

Right i'll cut to the chase, I may be quite interested in one of these but just wanted anyone who has one or tested/heard one opinion. I already have an SVT but because it is a vintage one i don't always want to take it incase of damage and the weight :) .

The other points I would like to know are if it can get grindy at a lower volume and if it is 2/4ohm or 4/8ohm configuration. I would use it with a NV610 for big gigs and if it is 8ohm and speakon a compact for smaller.

Thanks for your help in advance

I'm using a gt200 with an nv610. It has both 4 and 8 ohm taps. I really like the sound but i'd still say try before you buy. Pop up and see Jeff is your best bet, or give him a call.

Re the grind thing I have recorded with it once at low volume, but the sound is obviously a lot better with the volume up. You can probs get some dirt out of it at low volumes by messing with the depth and drive knobs, but I haven't really bothered with that. Get a mini mat if you want low volume grind!!!

It does 200 watts clean and around 300 dirty. I'd agree to try if possible before you buy. It's got a lovely tone, and the drive knob does add some ermm drive, but to get full on power amp drive you'll need to crank it. That's not to say it doesn't sound dirty with the volume low, but it just sounds better at higher volume if that's what you want.

Maybe PM Monz on here, he has one and swears by it. By 'swears by it', I mean he thinks it's f**king brilliant :)

Thanks for the replies, by lower volume i meant not SVT grind volume but it seems from most comments and peoples opinions one of the better if not best tube amps out today. I'm up against 2 guitarists and a loud drummer when he wants to be so the extra power is always helpfull i'll also pm monz and see his opinion.

I would like to take the trip but it will have to wait till next year (not long to go though) but it is a 4hr ish drive :)

I got it to nail the sound on Glassjaw's first album when I tried it through my Schroeder 1212L, as a point of reference. Don't know if you've heard it though. Was plenty grindy! Not tried it with a full band yet, so I may need to adjust some settings a bit, as well as the volume! Will let you know - though if you could clarify what you mean by low volume? Talking a small gig? Practice amp?

No i haven't heard any glassjaw (any suggestions) but I do like my grind on bass not all the time but just when it's needed. I mostly play plubs but the odd occasion i will play a club or other venue. Most of the time they are keen to DI the bass but I will get some gigs without PA support (just vox and possibly bass drum) to crank it up.

It's worth just saying aswell, if you do go to the factory, give them a ring first and see if they have a GT200 you can play on. I went one week and they were still building one, went the next and got a go through it. Not sure what cabs they have up there either. An 8x10 maybe, but if you have your own cab it may be worth taking that up too, so you're not disappointed :)

Yeah, when I went up, they had a GT200 in stock to try out.

There was an 8x10 to try, which was currently out of action as Jeff had stolen the speakers from it for another cab! There was also a ported 4x10 upstairs and a customer's newly completed sealed 4x10 which he was happy to let me try. I also took my own cab and he was more than happy for me to give it a blast through that.

Actually, once I started trying one thing, Jeff wasn't happy until I had tried just about everything he could make me try that was lying around :)

[quote name='Finbar' post='684461' date='Dec 14 2009, 08:37 PM']There was an 8x10 to try, which was currently out of action as Jeff had stolen the speakers from it for another cab! There was also ... a customer's newly completed sealed 4x10 which he was happy to let me try.[/quote]

Wasn't that mine? Whatta cab! :)

[quote name='ashevans09' post='684776' date='Dec 15 2009, 01:38 AM']Wasn't that mine? Whatta cab! :)[/quote]

Yeah it was :lol:

GT200 is a great head and fairly well rounded, but being from what is essentially a custom shop can be voiced certain ways, for example Monz's as I'm sure he will explain is voiced to stay cleaner for longer and I've discussed a 6 position drive knob that does the first 4 of Monz's amp and then the last 2 of the "stock" GT200

Now just to be clear I don't own a GT200, I will but stupidly decided to decorate my flat throughout so can't really afford a 7th tube amp right now :rolleyes: However me and Jeff are so sure I'll be getting one there is a GT200 red headcase waiting for me to buy the GT200 to go into it :lol:

Umcoo can give a good description of the grind available as I hammered it when we were there collecting 2x12's. But they do stay clean fairly well particularly if set like Monz's but with the drive control you can get it grindy at bedroom levels or clean at stadium levels as people who were at Bassday will moan about :lol:

I'd defo recommend trying one, even speaking to Jeff to see if he can direct you to someone down south with a GT200 that might be willing to let you try theirs.

They also have that Green 2x15 as well as the 8x10 (fully loaded) knocking about upstairs and I'm only 25miles away from the Factory so if you're doing a drive from Kent I'm happy to let anyone try my cabs and I've got an 8x10, 4x10 and 2x12

But I can't stress the trying part of it, go to the factory, hear it, tell them what you think, what you want etc because they won't let anything leave the factory unless you are happy with it, however this is very difficult if you just order over the phone with no experience of one.

Hope this helps

Edited by tayste_2000

• 1 month later...

It's going to be Black pebble, with white beading and chrome corner plates and the Green illuminous logo. Pictures will be posted when i get it but i'll upload a few I took whilst I was there a bit later in the Matamp thread.

Hi Guys,

Im also well keen on a GT200, I made a big mistake selling my Sunn 300T and I want to get the last amp I will ever own, Lol bigtime. I spoke to the guys at matamp yesterday and they told me its gonna be 4 weeks till the chassis come in stock. £ 100 deposit down to get your slot and then wait, out of interest whats the difference between the GT 200 and Bass 200 and is the green issue any different also. Ive owned 3 400+'s and way to many other amps, Im looking to start a new band with infulences from bands like ISIS, Cult of Luna, Russian Circles etc.

Cheers,

Robbie.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='685963' date='Dec 16 2009, 12:52 AM']No it's a resistor grid so limits the signal going to the preamp or from the preamp[/quote]
right so it is similar to the original gt style controls if i'm understanding you right, thats good to know!

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='728225' date='Jan 28 2010, 10:55 PM']Hi Guys,

Im also well keen on a GT200, I made a big mistake selling my Sunn 300T and I want to get the last amp I will ever own, Lol bigtime. I spoke to the guys at matamp yesterday and they told me its gonna be 4 weeks till the chassis come in stock. £ 100 deposit down to get your slot and then wait, out of interest whats the difference between the GT 200 and Bass 200 and is the green issue any different also. Ive owned 3 400+'s and way to many other amps, Im looking to start a new band with infulences from bands like ISIS, Cult of Luna, Russian Circles etc.

Cheers,

Robbie.[/quote]

i am also stupidly ignorant (not saying robbie is stupid or ignorant!) towards the difference and this 'green' malarky. Monz, mizzle, tayste, umcoo please shed light.

£1300 seems a sound invesment compared to an Orange AD200 off the production line.

Jeez i love valve amps. Time to get my act into gear.

Edited by William James Easton

I don't know the answer to the above questions, but I'll take a stab. I THINK the gt200 and bass 200 are the same thing. I know you can get gt120's and 100's for geetar, but I've never seen a gt200 marketed for guitars.

As for the whole green thing, I think it was some guy from Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green???) and they've just kept that green thing running.

Again, all of this could be lies...but that was how I understood things.

[quote name='umcoo' post='728390' date='Jan 29 2010, 08:27 AM']I don't know the answer to the above questions, but I'll take a stab. I THINK the gt200 and bass 200 are the same thing. I know you can get gt120's and 100's for geetar, but I've never seen a gt200 marketed for guitars.

As for the whole green thing, I think it was some guy from Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green???) and they've just kept that green thing running.

Again, all of this could be lies...but that was how I understood things.[/quote]
nah your spot on, and the guy who helped jeff start up again was called dave green think that was just a coincidence though.