Why become a member? ×

My collection now has one less bass

Gamble

For the first time since I started buying basses (some 13 years ago) I've finally sold one on. I'd only had it about 11 months, I'd barely played and I think I actually made money on it, but I'm still a little gutted that things have come to this as I was starting to consider myself a bit of a collector. It's as much a space issue as it is for the money as I've had to move back to my Mum's recently, and I think it's going to open the gates to me moving a couple more basses on. It's probably a good thing in all honesty, as I don't play all my basses nearly enough and as I always try to keep any funds made from playing gigs or selling equipment for buying more basses, I might even be able to get myself something a bit tasty rather than having an armfull of cheaper basses that just caught my eye when I was a bit more flush.
There's no hidden meaning or anything to this post, just wanted to share with some people who might understand what I'm feeling. How very EMO of me! Maybe it'll be of comfort to somebody else in a similar position too, I dunno.

Cheers for reading!

I'm not one for selling gear, although I have let a few things go and I usually get pangs of regret, often many years later. I sold my Status S2 this year :) I had two expensive basses and that is one too many for a bedroom player! Boy do I miss those blue LEDs ....

I need to shift a geetar that I don't really play, but it's a stunner and a one-off and I can't quite bring myself to part with it so far.

Bummer having to sell due to redundancy.

Feel for you buddy. You do have an epic number of basses to choose from. I wouldn't think of it as losing a bass, but rather making space for another new bass when you're gainfully employed again.

All the best luck with your job search buddy. Hopefully see you at Fr0g's 30th birthday next month?

Thanks for the support guys, like I said, I just wanted to share as I was a little down about it. It was time it happened though, and I have to agree that now I've done it and am planning on moving a couple more) I'm not going to feel too bad about another purchase once times are better!
And on that brighter note - I JUST GOT A JOB!! Only part time hours atr the local Odeon cinema but it's a start, and I'm made up about it! Yays!

[quote name='Gamble' post='678072' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:56 PM']And on that brighter note - I JUST GOT A JOB!! Only part time hours atr the local Odeon cinema but it's a start, and I'm made up about it! Yays![/quote]

Nice one. My family has been affected by redundancy too this year and we're bouncing back now. All the best

yeah redundancys have hit everyone, its a nightmare, im a sheriff officer and there was talks of redundancies in my work, the management were not specific who was getting let go, turns out it was some admin......turns out I was safe all along. :)

horrible feeling though having that looming over you.

And as I go door to door seeing people regarding their debts, it really hits home on how bad this recession is.

Ive sold on pretty much any bass ive stopped playing, but none of them were worth more than £350 id say. Havent really ever regretted selling them, because if i didnt, id never have the money to buy another bass!, im at college see.

But its okay, like you have to get rid of things you dont use, because if your not playing it, its just some cash tied up in an object, AND you made a profit!, NICE ONE!

I think I'm in possession on 12 basses and an Ashbory now, and one of my old friends tells me he's still got my first bass which I lent him but haven't seen for a few years. Only maybe 4 of my basses would cost £500 or more to buy new, so there's not a huge ammount of money involved but I like to get slightly unusual basses or ones that I think are just cool (my see-thru Wesley 5 for example!). I'm probably going to downsize some more now that I've got past the first sale, that was kinda symbolic. I really don't play 4's anymore so even my Aria flying V might be up for grabs soon, but that'll be a reluctant sale.

[quote name='Gamble' post='678072' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:56 PM']And on that brighter note - I JUST GOT A JOB!! Only part time hours atr the local Odeon cinema but it's a start, and I'm made up about it! Yays![/quote]
Awesome new boss! Hopefully catch up soon (if you've got the time outside of work :) ).

Had a look online and I think the Aria V was only made in 1985, making it only 4 years younger than me! That's one of the ones that'd be really hard to part with if I'm honest, it's the third bass I ever owned and it's nice and unusual. Got no idea what it'd be worth to sell either, it's not exatly mint condition but it's got some life left in it yet!

Sorry - I got carried away thinking about that aria......Congratulations on the new job.

I am at risk at the moment - the IT department I work in needs to trim down from 115 people to 80.....won't know until April....but I'm hoping I'll be OK - started looking around already and will jump before I get pushed if it comes to it.

Really sorry to hear that people are still feeling the axe hovering over their necks, it's not a nice place to be.
I recently applied for a job throught an agency and they've been offering me work here and there ever since, not much money but it's still wages and every so often they'll put me forward for a job I'd actually like! I'm palming them off a bit at the moment because I'm really looking forward to starting at the cinema, but if you're not too proud to perform mundane tasks for 8 hours a day then there's money to be had. I spent 2 days making Kettle chip multi-packs and another day hanging bags on those dangley plastic strips this week, met a guy in the same position as me and made a few quid more than I would have signing on. It's not the most fun you can have with your clothes on, but it could be worse.
Keep your chins up guys, there'll be a light at the end of it all!