Why become a member? ×

Earwig EIM bass amp on the bay

jazzyitalian

Hello Chatters-

I once left a review on the Earwig bass amp. Enea who rarely posts on eBay is actually putting up one of his amps at $30 less than what you buy them for online. This is his limited run STAR version. It's a trimmed down thin amp roughly the thickness cigarette box. It only runs on batteries. But it's a sipper and the battery will last you over 40 hours easily. Here it is:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/The-EARWIG-ew2-Guitar-Bass-Headphone-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ300378494985QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item45eff41809"]http://cgi.ebay.com/The-EARWIG-ew2-Guitar-...=item45eff41809[/url]

I gave a review on his product and he makes a great device. He'll even modify it for you prior to shipping. But you need to let him know what you need. He does make special mods to maximize the quality for bass guitars. Finally this amp does not have an AC capability. It only works with a 9V battery. But you'll get at least 50 hours of use with a 9V on these amps. That's a kilo of traveling. So read my review carefully before considering this one.

Here is a link to my basschat review:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=63110&st=0&p=664671&#entry664671"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry664671[/url]

Jazz

Edited by jazzyitalian

Just to say that I bought one of these recently - marvellously simple and simply marvellous. The perfect solution to the 'practise anywhere' problem.

Mine has been modified to (1) be more responsive to bass frequencies, and (2) lose the external power socket in favour of a parallel 1/4" output that can go to the amp, allowing this device also to be used as a simple form of IEM.

Enea (who owns/runs Earwig) is a really nice guy, and very helpful.

[quote name='awdl22125' post='675157' date='Dec 5 2009, 06:21 PM']Do you know how much he charges to ship to the UK?[/quote]

Can't remember exactly, but it wasn't a huge amount - $15 maybe?

No tax to pay, since it's a small box containing a relatively low-value item.

Takes a while, mind.

[quote name='awdl22125' post='675157' date='Dec 5 2009, 06:21 PM']Do you know how much he charges to ship to the UK?[/quote]
I just mailed him about the 'standard' version and I was quoted $78.98 all-in.

I'm hovering between pulling the trigger on one of the standard Earwigs, or pushing the boat out and getting a Phil Jones Bass Buddy.

Hmmm...

Edited by wateroftyne

They're really very different animals, Michael.

The Earwig's USP is its sheer portability. It's a 1-trick pony, but it's very good at that one trick. It's a bit bulky for your jacket pocket (though it will fit there easily enough) but you can toss it in a gig bag, or a briefcase, or an overnight bag, and not even notice it's there. Remember to bring a micro-jack cable to link to your phone/mp3 player and you have everything you need to play while travelling.

The Bass Buddy is portable, but in a very different sort of way. It's not something you'd casually leave in a gig bag! It's also very multi-functional and IME works best as part of your home music set-up. I use it as a headphone amp which also has great EQ and a compressor, as a DI box when I need one in my study, and as a driver for my Barefaced Midget when the neighbours are away.

In truth, the two gadgets don't compete with each other at all.

Buy both.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='675592' date='Dec 6 2009, 06:29 AM']They're really very different animals, Michael.

The Earwig's USP is its sheer portability. It's a 1-trick pony, but it's very good at that one trick. It's a bit bulky for your jacket pocket (though it will fit there easily enough) but you can toss it in a gig bag, or a briefcase, or an overnight bag, and not even notice it's there. Remember to bring a micro-jack cable to link to your phone/mp3 player and you have everything you need to play while travelling.

The Bass Buddy is portable, but in a very different sort of way. It's not something you'd casually leave in a gig bag! It's also very multi-functional and IME works best as part of your home music set-up. I use it as a headphone amp which also has great EQ and a compressor, as a DI box when I need one in my study, and as a driver for my Barefaced Midget when the neighbours are away.

In truth, the two gadgets don't compete with each other at all.

Buy both.

:)[/quote]

Same reasons above. And the other glaring difference would be that they're about $300 apart in price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='jazzyitalian' post='689312' date='Dec 19 2009, 01:10 PM']Enea has a limited run amp with an image of a "Star" on the top (I call it Star version). It's a different shape. It's as small as thick as a cigarette box. Only runs on 9V batteries... :)[/quote]

Here's a link to one he has for sale on eBay right now!!! It's starting at $30 less than what you'd pay online.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/The-EARWIG-ew2-Guitar-Bass-Headphone-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ300381060181QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_2?hash=item45f01b3c55#ht_2035wt_1113"]http://cgi.ebay.com/The-EARWIG-ew2-Guitar-...#ht_2035wt_1113[/url]