Why become a member? ×

Anyone gonna be at the Bass Merchant over the next few days?

Sibob

[quote name='Sibob' post='674280' date='Dec 4 2009, 04:10 PM']I'm having a jaunt back to Essex to see my parents, and will no doubt pop into the Merchants for a mooch about and a play! :)
Anyone gonna be about?

Si[/quote]

As it happens I'm pa-in-law sitting in Stanstead right now so I may pop over tomorrow (Sat) afternoon...
Si

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='674578' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:06 PM']I've got a day off on Sunday (started Panto today!!!) so might (not 100% sure as to any other plans as yet) try and get to see the lads and you guys!

Nick[/quote]

Paaar-taaayyyy On, dudes...

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='674578' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:06 PM']I've got a day off on Sunday (started Panto today!!!) so might (not 100% sure as to any other plans as yet) try and get to see the lads and you guys!

Nick[/quote]

Did you make it, Doc?

[quote name='OldGit' post='676071' date='Dec 6 2009, 08:09 PM']Did you make it, Doc?[/quote]

Allo! Yes, I got there at around 1:45pm - did not see the earlier messages as was not online first thing this morning! Doh! Not to worry, had a nice afternoon with Darren and as it got busy in the shop, I ended up *demoing and selling a GMR bass to a very talented 11 year old player (put my salesman's hat on!) - well, his parents bought it for him!

Lovely bass! - lucky lad but he certainly deserves it!

*I am a freelancer with no actual fiscal remunerative links to any shop etc - although copious coffee was imbibed!

[quote name='OldGit' post='676070' date='Dec 6 2009, 08:08 PM']What was that about wandering a bit quicker?

:)

Nice to meet you Si. I hope you had fun after I had to go.[/quote]

I do apologise for my tardiness mate! nice to meet you to, albeit briefly.
Combination of 50 mph sections on the motorway and having a pretty girlfriend lol

Didn't try much after you went as I went up today as well. Tried the Overwater 5 fretless.....was alright, got very confused by the side dots being ON their respective frets, not a fretted player friendly bass haha. Tried the grey Bongo......was alright, didn't feel too nice but sounded alright, too complicated for me though :rolleyes:.

Where's my Jazz Bass!

Like I said, went up today but didn't really check any other basses out. My dad is hopefully going for one of the Taylor acoustics, so spent the visit in (my very limited) guitar mode lol

Si

Sounds like fun.
It was great to try some of the more esoteric things like the Overwaters, the DR coloured strings, Lace Helix, Bongo etc and to reassure myself that I'm pretty much sorted with the basses and amps I already have :)

Guitar playing dad eh? That's cool :rolleyes:

[quote name='Jam' post='677439' date='Dec 8 2009, 03:09 AM']That is a lovely looking bass for an 11 year old. Generous parents![/quote]

Indeed! Very nice people - all their kids are into music in a big way and they wanted to get young Peter the best possible instrument they could afford - he has been playing since he was 5 years old and imho, is already grooving very nicely! He liked a couple of Spectors and then tried the GMR and fell in love with it!

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='676148' date='Dec 6 2009, 09:14 PM']I ended up *demoing and selling a GMR bass to a very talented 11 year old player (put my salesman's hat on!) - well, his parents bought it for him!

Lovely bass! - lucky lad but he certainly deserves it![/quote]

I'm jealous. Probably because my parents were so against me playing, they would have never done something like this.

On the other hand because I had to fight so hard to be able to play, I'm still doing it over 35 years later, whereas if they had been supportive, I may well have lost interest a long time ago...

[quote name='Sibob' post='678508' date='Dec 8 2009, 09:47 PM']That GMR is £2,295

I don't care how good he is......that's some wealthy-parent spending right there lol

Si[/quote]

Oh that's rediculous. What can he do with that that he can't do with a US Jazz?

Kid these days ....

When he goes to one of the 'tech' schools....which he inevitably will, all the kids with their Jazz's and Precisions are going to laugh at him :).

I jest of course, he's very lucky, will hopefully be a great player.....and is probably reading this!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='678532' date='Dec 8 2009, 10:05 PM']When he goes to one of the 'tech' schools....which he inevitably will, all the kids with their Jazz's and Precisions are going to laugh at him :lol:.

I jest of course, he's very lucky, will hopefully be a great player.....and is probably reading this!

Si[/quote]

Quite possibly! :)
He's probably got a P bass for everyday use :rolleyes:

I was in the shop when the kid was trying out, he was great. Guitar looked even better in the flesh than on the picture

Got there about 3.30 so only a quick try out of a couple of pedals before had to dash with a couple of prezzies to myself. did not know about the get together, will watch more carefully next time

Eggy