Why become a member? ×

My life in gear

budget bassist

I've not had as much gear as you guys, but i've only been playing for four years, and i've only really acquired most of this fairly recently. Here goes:

Basses:

1. Cheap stagg PJ bass, pretty rubbish instrument but it's what got me started. A friend of mine sold it me for a tenner, it was purple and COVERED in scratches. It eventually got stripped, varnished with floor varnish and sold for £40 after a £10 set of strings, and i still know the girl that has it.

2. stagg musicman copy. Got totally ripped off on this one, someone i know sold it me for £150 used with monthly payments of £15. Was an ok bass but REALLY heavy. Sold later on for £45, i think it's still within my circle of friends too.

3. Jay turser musicman copy, not too sure why i bought this, other than the fact that it was cheap. Bought from a friend for £40. It was my main bass for quite a while, mainly because i hadn't tried anything better! :rolleyes: Came with a really bad blue refin, so i stripped it and refinished it equally badly in the same colour... :)

4. Tobias toby pro 5-b custom. My first 'real' bass. By this point i had sold all the other basses. Really nice neck on this bass but didn't get on with the sound that much, ended up changing the pickups for bartolinis and then swapping them out again for the originals and selling the bass earlier this year.

5. Musicman SUB bass. Got this for christmas a few years ago, really nice bass for the cash, came practically new for £350. Great sound, decent neck and really pretty too. Sold earlier this year when i realised i barely used it anymore. My no1 bass for quite a while.

6. Here's where i get a little hazy, i *think* this was the next bass, this or the one after that, but that's not important.
G&L Tribute L2000. Nice sounding bass and very versatile, but lacked something next to my musicman, swapped shortly after.

7. Musicman frankenSUB/OLP. This was bought in pieces from various places, spent about £200 and it's a HELL of a lot of bass for that! Still very much a work in progress, but hopefully will be complete in a few months. Just need the right router bit and a better soldering iron.

8. Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz. Acquired in a trade for the G&L. Great neck on this, the sound was nice for what it was but it wasn't what i was after. Sold a few months later again.

9. Warwick Corvette $$. Bought earlier this year and swapped for my stingray very recently. One of the best basses i ever played, fantastic neck, huge and versatile sound, lovely body and just generally brilliant. Traded on a bit of a whim i suppose when something i really fancied came up. I'd love another of these some day, i don't regret the trade though.

10. Musicman Stingray 2008 LE. Amazing bass, traded for my corvette. Tonally very similar but totally different, chunkier neck but great action and very playable. STUNNING colour! The main reason i went for it really. Lovely lovely bass.

Amps:

1. BB blaster ten watt guitar combo, bought from a friend for £30. Total POS! I don't have any photos of this that i can find.

2. Fat rat 15W amp bought from a friend, again, rubbish!

3. Behringer ultrabass BX1200. Got it for christmas one year, was alright, definitely an upgrade but really didn't sound that great.

4. Ampeg BA115. Nice combo, sounded good but just wasn't loud enough for band practice and the tweeter hiss did my head in, sold again soon after.

5. Ashdown EB180 + MAG 115 + MAG 210. Decent sounding rig, bought for £250 used off ebay and served me well for a few gigs and lots of band practice for over a year until the head blew up not too long ago.

6. Ashdown perfect ten. bought for £50 off a friend a bit over a year ago as a little practice amp to use at my mum's house. It's been perfect for it's purpose since then, decent little amp.

7. Ashdown ABM 300 EVOII. Bought recently from here after my EB180 blew up. Sounds great, has the really gritty sounds i was after and the valve preamp is great! Admittedly i probably shouldn't have gone ashdown after my other blew up but it sounds so good!! A little underpowered though.

And there you have it!

[quote name='budget bassist' post='672566' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:09 PM']yeah the reggie was really nice, AMAZING neck, if i was ever to have another jazz bass, it would be one of them, no doubt about it (if i could find one).[/quote]

I miss my old Jazz, but to be honest the neck was a bit skinny for my taste - much prefer a MM or Warwick profile.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='672579' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:19 PM']big hands eh? :)
i liked the warwick neck, had a jazz width but really thick profile, really weird but oddly comfortably[/quote]

Yep - that was possibly the most comfortable bass I've played. Strangely, it felt nicer than my Thumb - although I'd always assumed BO Warwicks all had the same necks?

Edited by simon1964

[quote name='simon1964' post='672581' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:22 PM']Yep - that was possibly the most comfortable bass I've played. Strangely, it felt nicer than my Thumb - although I'd always assumed BO Warwicks all had the same necks?[/quote]
yeah i think they do, though i didn't like the body on your thumb when i tried it. it might be different on a strap though

Good thread.

I don't have pictures, but here's a list of all the stuff I've owned since 1992. I'll put an asterisk next to it if I still own it.

[u][b]Guitars:[/b][/u]
Armando Classic
Vantage EA dreadnought
Carson Les Paul Custom copy
Ibanez S270
Ibanez Artwood AW800CE*
Ibanez RG7213
Ibanez Destroyer
Yamaha 12-string acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epiphone 7-string Korina Flying V
Epiphone '76 Explorer
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Kramer Imperial
Fender '60s Classic Telecaster
Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster*
Gibson Les Paul Custom*
Gibson '91 Les Paul Standard*

[u][b]Basses[/b][/u]
Washburn Bantam BX300
Ibanez SDGR
Hohner Fretless Jazz Bass
Hohner B-Bass V
Custom designed 5-string*
Squier Std Jazz Bass*

[u][b]Guitar Amps[/b][/u]
Vantage R10
Hughes & Kettner Attax 80
Fender Super 210
Marshall AVT50 + AVT412
Marshall AVT150 + Peavey 412
Randall RH100
Orange TT15
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 + 1960A 412*

[u][b]Bass Amps[/b][/u]
Fender BXR100
Ashdown MAG300 410 + 115

[u][b]Effects[/b][/u]
DOD Blues Driver
DOD Grunge
Digitech RP2000
Dunlop Crybaby Wha*
Boss Noise Suppressor*
Boss Digital Delay
Boss Metal Zone
Boss Super Overdrive
Digitech Whammy
Toadworks Meat Jr. Boost*

Wow, when you look at it like that, it's a pretty big list.

Edited by maxrossell

[quote name='budget bassist' post='673305' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:55 PM']I think with the prices i paid for some of them, i'm still allowed to keep my title :)[/quote]

I think there is a difference between "budget" and "bargain" lol. Nice stuff, i know how it feels to be obsessed with constantly buying and selling thinks but i've tried to avoid the temptation as of l8.

aye but bargain bassist doesn't have the same ring :) this ray is the first new bass i've had since like january though and that ABM head was the first amp i'd bought in about a year so i've slowed down a lot recently! mainly due to the fact that i've spent all my money on bikes instead!

Edited by budget bassist