Why become a member? ×

Bridge parts for 70s P-bass

Clarky

The only minor issue with my newly-acquired 72 P bass, apart from slightly scratchy pots, is that some of the bridge parts are pretty worn out, making adjustment a touch tricky (but not impossible).

Specifically a number of the saddle grub screws (which should be slotted at the top) are stripped and so are only adjustable from beneath with pliers, for raising/lowering action. In addition, one of the long springs that travels the length of the saddle anchoring screw (for the D string) has lost its springiness and so rattles and buzzes a little.

So does anyone know where I could source some 70s-style Fender saddle grub screws and one saddle spring? Many thanks in advance, Clarky

[quote name='King Tut' post='669662' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:16 AM']Best bet would probably be to buy a whole new 70's style bridge from Bass Parts Resource and pull out the bits you need![/quote]

I think this is probably a much better solution than those rip off merchants who brake up classic basses on EBay only to put the thumb rest on auction for silly money!

Did some searching. To replace the parts I would have to buy a Vintage '75 Jazz bridge replacement (which is identical to that used in early 70's Ps and J's). This would cost around £33.

The bridge on my bass is sound, it really is just 5 stripped grub screws and one dodgy spring, so over £30 is a lot to pay for these parts which should really cost pennies. I will of course do this if I can't find any other source but just wonder does anyone know of a shop that keeps odds and ends like this for repair and restoration?

Thx again, Clarky