Why become a member? ×

Ashdown users - The jump from MAG to ABM heads

gingerfish

I've been using a MAG300 for a few years now and am at a point where I am considering saving for an ABM head/combo. I'm just wondering what people opinions are on the difference? I'm really wanting a bit of a warmer sound. The MAG has done its job but feel I want something more... might just be me being greedy but we'll see.

Playing it through a ABM210T so might be looking to add a 15 too.

Cheers

Jon

[quote name='gingerfish' post='669288' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:53 PM']I've been using a MAG300 for a few years now and am at a point where I am considering saving for an ABM head/combo. I'm just wondering what people opinions are on the difference? I'm really wanting a bit of a warmer sound. The MAG has done its job but feel I want something more... might just be me being greedy but we'll see.

Playing it through a ABM210T so might be looking to add a 15 too.

Cheers

Jon[/quote]

I tried both before I bought my Klystron 500. There was no comparison, the valve drive just sounds lovely! Whether you could get the warmth through a decent pedal instead though - might be worth thinking about - that is about all your gaining, maybe the compressor if yours doesn't have one built in.

I love the MAG heads. Both the 300 and 600.
I'm not a fan of the MAG cabs. They sound terrible IMO.

The ABM is a completely different animal than the MAG.
I don't consider the ABM a step up from the MAG.... they are just different amps.

The ABM is a good SVT alternative IMO. Lots of growling goodness but with better response and better note definition.
Granted, it doesn't quite reach the "holy grail" of breaking up like an all-tube SVT.

I was considering an ABM and got to try out an ABM fullstack (2 4x10 cabs).
It lacks in the treble department for me.
Too much noise when you boost the treble. That was a turn-off for me.
If you're not into treble boosting, like for example you don't slap or tap, just straight forward rock, then the ABM can be a faithful friend.

If you are after a hifi-tone, look elsewhere.
I think the MAG does a better job at sounding good full-range. But it's more sterile.

My advice would be to stretch your budget toward a halfstack, seperate amphead and 4x10 cab.
I tried it and compared it with the ABM 210 combo, and I found the 210 lacking when you want to go loud.
I'm also not a fan of adding a 15" cab to a 10"s cab, but that is just me. :)

An ABM 410 is a wonderful cab that will take you a long way. :rolleyes:
Better than to hassle with a 2x10 and a 1x15 cab, just my opinion.

+1 duifferent animals completely!!!! The valve drive control on the ABM is sweet!! I find the power a bit cleaner- or ummmm,,, it just seemed to be "gruntier" as in NOT dirty(unless U turn up the drive thingy-as I said) but but packed more of a punch for the wattage. I tried both thru ABM cabs- 2x 410's.

I find the ABM to be punchier, warmer and generally to have more weight than the Mag. I did the opposite from you (and most folks I suspect) by moving from an ABM head to a 300 watt 2x10 Mag combo. The head was getting a bit old and I needed a low cost replacement for it at the time so I used the combo and the 4x10 Mag cab I had along with it.
Compared to the ABM I find the Mag is 'sterile' sounding - it does the job, just without a great deal of character. I sold the 4x10 also and bought a Mag 1x15 hoping to get some deeper, warmer lows but much as the sound is big it still lacks the character of the ABM.
If I were going to buy another ABM I'd definately go for one of the 500 watt heads with either 1x15 & 2x10 or else just the ABM 4x10. I tried the ABM 500 2x10 combo recently with a couple of different basses and it sounded fantastic, but after using the combo for a while now I'd rather have the versatility of seperate head and cabs.

Edited by Buzzgroove