Why become a member? ×

Shuker 5 String Thru-neck

EntropicLqd

Since I've been promised some pictures of my shiny bass I figured I'd throw up, not so much a build diary as a "before and after" set of pictures.

Hmm, I guess there will be some spec. junkies on here so this is what it will be:

5 string
34" scale
24 fret
jumbo stainless fretwire
24" radius f/board
45mm nut (9mm string spacing), 16mm string spacing at the bridge

7 piece laminate thru neck (maple / mahogany / wenge or maple / black walnut / wenge)
Asian striped ebony f/board, f/board edge bound
matching headstock veneer on front and rear of headstock,
black veneers between top and rear headstock facing
2 way truss rod, carbon fibre reinforcement x4

7 piece laminated body
white ash body core, laminated 2 piece, black centre veneer
bimble box bookmatched top and coolibah bookmatched rear face
black veneer between body sides and thru neck
black veneer between top and body core and rear facing and body core drop top
rear control covers cut from rear facing
bound elite neck joint and body carving

Black hardware
Individual bridge units
dunlop straplocks
gotoh GB707 tuners or hipshot ultralite tuners
EMG HZ pickups x2
barrel jack
Sims LEds - Pearl dots, electric blue, between A&D except on octaves(12 and 24),red Leds between E&A and A&D. Edge leds colour matched to the face leds,
G string side (left handed, viewed edge).
master vol with push/push mute, vol control for each pickup, rotary led
switch 4 pos.

So anyway, for those that like to drool over pictures of wood:

Fretboard: Snakewood

Front: Bimblebox (it's an Ausie gum)

Back and headstock: Coolibah (another Ausie gum)

[quote name='ali-stare' post='6009' date='May 24 2007, 08:13 PM']how are those aussie gum trees tonaly? they look sweet its going to be one niiiiiiiice bass[/quote]
Well, the bass is a thu-neck so most of the tone will come from the composite 7 piece laminate neck (maple / mahogany / wenge or maple / black walnut / wenge). I actually don't know what Jon put in the middle (wenge or maple) and I've not asked.

However, gums are normally quite a soft wood so I would guess (and this is a guess on my part) that it will soften the tone a little (little more bass, little less treble) although I expect the effect will be minimal as the gum is only a facing on a white ash body.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some more pictures from Mr Shuker over the course of last week and I've finally found some time to upload them somewhere sensible. The pictures were taken in the pre-LED state so I know for sure that the bass has moved on significantly.

Sadly Tinman wasn't able to take any more pictures over the weekend. I'm guessing that the next set of pictures will be the finished article.

[quote name='dood' post='11172' date='Jun 2 2007, 09:08 PM']Simply yummy! What a lovely bit o' wood. That fretboard looks scrummy![/quote]
Yeah. It was either the snakewood or some striped ebony for the fretboard. The striped ebony was nice but I felt that the snakewood just looked that bit nicer. Possibly because the lines were not as straight as on the ebony.

[quote name='Tinman' post='11286' date='Jun 3 2007, 06:51 AM']Sorry about the pics mate, I had to disappoint Mike as well cos his wasn't there either.[/quote]
No worries. The thought was much appreciated.

The next few weeks are going to go very slowly I think. I'm stunned by how gorgeous the coolibah (on the back and headstock) looks. The grain of it always comes out really nicely in the pictures.

I need a time machine :)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='lwtait' post='19710' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:24 PM']ive seen a fwe of these shuker basses on basschat, theyre really nice. im guessing theyre handmade by Jon Shuker by what ive seen from these comments.[/quote]
You guess correctly young sir. [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='lwtait' post='19710' date='Jun 18 2007, 04:24 PM']ive seen a fwe of these shuker basses on basschat, theyre really nice. im guessing theyre handmade by Jon Shuker by what ive seen from these comments.[/quote]

Oooh yes There's loads of us with them :)

• 1 month later...

I've just had an update from Jon.

He tried to wire up the LEDs and they didn't work as he was expecting. After a conversation with the SIMS Custom chaps he's had to return the bass to get them to look at it. He's expecting is back either today or tomorrow.

If the bass does actually come back over the next day or so then if everything goes well I should have it by the end of the month.

[quote name='Mike' post='36195' date='Jul 23 2007, 11:31 PM']...Why did you choose jumbo fretwire?[/quote]
Essentially because it's a little more hard-wearing (hence the stainless steel fretwire) than the thinner stuff. I tend to dig into the strings quite hard as well as bending the strings a bit, and so didn't want fret-wear to be a problem for a year or several.

Having said that, since I got my GK my playing style has softened so maybe it wouldn't be so much of an issue.

When I compared them at Jon's workshop there really wasn't that much to choose between them. I guess the clincher was that the bass I'm playing at the moment uses Jumbo fretwire and I've always found it pretty comfortable.

I've just had an update from Jon. My bass will be ready this week. However since I'm off on holiday it'll probably be another week or two before I actually get to pick it up. Personally I'd simply cancel the holiday but I suspect that would be a life shortening move (if the wife didn't kill me the kids would).

The reason the LEDs didn't work as expected was because I was mixing blue and red LEDs. They have different current and voltage requirements which means that you can't mix them. A shame really, but it's not the end of the world.

I guess it's always possible that the anticipation will kill me first. :)

[quote name='steve-soar' post='39303' date='Jul 30 2007, 11:32 PM']I smell celery. :)[/quote]
Can't stand the stuff myself.

I'm sure Jon could provide a detailed explanation as to exactly why the particular strange and other-worldly combination of LEDs I originally wanted wouldn't function. It's probably down to current and voltage differences between the blue and red LEDs. But to be honest I'm not that interested.

[quote name='Tinman' post='39409' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:07 AM']Hey Darren
Great news on you bass mate.
I don't suppose you fancy taking your camera with you when you go. I could really do with some updates on mine and I don't like to keep bugging Jon about it.[/quote]
Heh .. once I know when I'm going to get the bass I'll PM you and get some details. I'm tied up this coming Saturday (fairly typical that) so it will slip to the following week at the earliest. Possibly another week on top. We'll have to see how work/family stuff pans out.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='39452' date='Jul 31 2007, 11:57 AM']Heh .. once I know when I'm going to get the bass I'll PM you and get some details. I'm tied up this coming Saturday (fairly typical that) so it will slip to the following week at the earliest. Possibly another week on top. We'll have to see how work/family stuff pans out.[/quote]

Thanks mate

• 3 weeks later...

It's looking great, Entropic. Can't wait to read a review. What sort of music do you play?

When you go to pick it up, is there any chance of you taking any snaps of mine (if you're taking a camera of course!)?

If so I'll drop you a PM with my details.

Regards

Mike