Why become a member? ×

Zender in BGM

Doddy

So,in the new issue of BGM is a short feature on Stuart Zender,and then
next month he's on the cover?!!!!!!

After his last feature he wrote this on his myspace.....

"RUBBISH BASS INTERVIEW

Hey everyone!!!!
I would just like to apologize for the rubbish interview in this months bass guitar magazine(if anyone read it). It was a phone interview and i did tell the guy a lot of new stuff....he just never put it in the article. I have not done an interview for ages and i really did not think it would turn out like that. He kept talking over me while i was trying to answer his questions. I did not know who the cover bassist was so i went out and bought their album. I didn't like it. Sorry...i guess everyone has an opinion and i hate judging people so i will be polite and just leave it at that. There is a ton of great "female" bassists out there and i really wish that one of "them" made the cover..ha ha. I think the editor of the magazine used the whole "female" bassist thing as novelty factor. I guess he was trying to be "PC" but, in my eyes, ended up insulting all bassists. I find that really sexist. We are all the same...well besides the whole penis/vagina thing. At he end of the day we all have the same passions and drive.
I also think the "girl" on the cover was silly to say that no one expects a "girl" to play the bass because "girls" have small hands.... well.......I have small hands and it never stopped me. Do you play the bass...or does the bass play you? The instrument is my life....it is my sanctuary and it saddens me to see someone on the cover of a bass mag that doesn't care and probably picked it up because it was the "easiest" thing to learn. Pardon my French... but bollocks to that!
Hey Charlott from the Subways.......go buy Black Flags "Whos Got the 10 and a half" Kira Roessler....where ever you are..... YOU f***in RULE!!!!!!!
PS......Dont buy a copie.......read it online!!!!
Also....if anyone feels the same way i do you should email the editor with your thoughts.
If i have burnt any bridges with this blog just know......i have a loads of wood in the garden! ha ha ha....love and peace to all "girls" and "boys"...oh.......and bass guitarists!
Stu"

.....and they still feature him again? Twice?

I don't get it. I liked the guy when he was in Jamiroquai,but he's not really done much since has he?

[quote name='Doddy' post='666390' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:06 PM']I don't get it. I liked the guy when he was in Jamiroquai,but he's not really done much since has he?[/quote]

Jamiroquai wouldn't have got where they are today without Zender's superb bass lines (obviously my opinion). Whilst Jay has a great voice it was the combination with Zender's bass that made them stand out and I'm really disappointed that he seems to have now disappeared into bass folklore :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='666390' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:06 PM']So,in the new issue of BGM is a short feature on Stuart Zender,and then

"RUBBISH BASS INTERVIEW

Hey everyone!!!!
I would just like to apologize for the rubbish interview in this months bass guitar magazine(if anyone read it). It was a phone interview and i did tell the guy a lot of new stuff....he just never put it in the article. I have not done an interview for ages and i really did not think it would turn out like that. He kept talking over me while i was trying to answer his questions. I did not know who the cover bassist was so i went out and bought their album. I didn't like it. Sorry...i guess everyone has an opinion and i hate judging people so i will be polite and just leave it at that. There is a ton of great "female" bassists out there and i really wish that one of "them" made the cover..ha ha. I think the editor of the magazine used the whole "female" bassist thing as novelty factor. I guess he was trying to be "PC" but, in my eyes, ended up insulting all bassists. I find that really sexist. We are all the same...well besides the whole penis/vagina thing. At he end of the day we all have the same passions and drive.
I also think the "girl" on the cover was silly to say that no one expects a "girl" to play the bass because "girls" have small hands.... well.......I have small hands and it never stopped me. Do you play the bass...or does the bass play you? The instrument is my life....it is my sanctuary and it saddens me to see someone on the cover of a bass mag that doesn't care and probably picked it up because it was the "easiest" thing to learn. Pardon my French... but bollocks to that!
Hey Charlott from the Subways.......go buy Black Flags "Whos Got the 10 and a half" Kira Roessler....where ever you are..... YOU f***in RULE!!!!!!!
Also....if anyone feels the same way i do you should email the editor with your thoughts.
If i have burnt any bridges with this blog just know......i have a loads of wood in the garden! ha ha ha....love and peace to all "girls" and "boys"...oh.......and bass guitarists!
Stu"

I don't get it. I liked the guy when he was in Jamiroquai,but he's not really done much since has he?[/quote]

This issue was one of the worst under the old regime (before Nick was editing it) - the Subways feature on Charlott (with all due respect to her as well) was a flimsy two page Q&A and putting her on the cover without backing it up with a decent interview or guess what? A whole issue dedicated to female bassists - now there's an idea :) - was very poor indeed - and smacked of just wanting to put a 'girl' on the cover.

A far as I am aware Stu Z was really cool when he was interviewed for the new issue and is part of a bigger feature (I can't reveal on what) with a ton of top UK bassists - his comments based on that issue are IMHO justified - but please don't jump to conclusions until you've seen / read the next issue - I think (hope) it will be a lot lot better.

Mike

[quote name='Doddy' post='666390' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:06 PM']So,in the new issue of BGM is a short feature on Stuart Zender,and then

"RUBBISH BASS INTERVIEW

Hey everyone!!!!
Stu"

I don't get it. I liked the guy when he was in Jamiroquai,but he's not really done much since has he?[/quote]

I'd sooner read about Stu than a lot of the people they have; let's face it, Jimi Hendrix hasn't done much recently either but that doesn't mean he's not a great player worth reading about.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='666410' date='Nov 26 2009, 04:27 PM']Talking of BGM, I have a subscription, but again it's in Smiths and mine hasn't arrived yet. I thought one of the advantages of subscriptions were that you get the mag earlier.

Looks a cracking issue, though.[/quote]

Same here :)