Why become a member? ×

Cables

noelk27

A weak link in the chain for me, as in all my years playing bass and guitar I've really not paid enough attention to the topic of cables. Many, many years ago I purchased some Sound City cables, which I've pretty much been using ever since, unless I've been supplied with superior alternatives by sound engineers, live are in the studio. I can recall using Monster Cables at one time, but the other brands are lost to time.

I've been looking at some of the "premium" cabling options, produced by the likes of Elixir and Planet Waves, but I'm sure there are other "premium" marques out there, and would appreciate some input from fellow basschatters.

My set up, which I'm currently organising, will consist of an SWR Baby Blue and late 70s and early 80s period Aria Pro II SB series basses, an Atlansia Stealth, late 70s and early 80s period Yamaha BB series basses (as well as an early 90s BB1500A) and a G&L El Toro. All basses (except fretless: D'Addario Chromes) are strung with either DR Low Riders or DR Sunbeams. I prefer to record direct, clean, using amplification to push some air adding a little presence, and add effect during production, but I do use a Sadowsky Outboard Bass preamp ('91 era), a (temperamental) Tech 21 SansAmp Bass DI ('93 era, which I'd like to replace with another unit of similar vintage, that works), and a Nathan East NE1.

Perhaps information overload, but it might influence any advice rendered.

Edited by noelk27