Why become a member? ×

Argh

velvetkevorkian

Hello folks, got a couple of Qs about setup and stuff.
I've been carefully lowering the action at the bridge on my bass and I've noticed that its not straight- there's a noticeable bend towards the nut. You can see the extent of this in the pics. How much of an issue would you say this is? Will it require a new bridge?

I'm going to have to take it into the shop anyway as the soundpost fell when I took the bridge off to remove a dead pickup, and I have neither the tools nor the patience to sort that. Does anyone know of anywhere in Glasgow that will do this other than the Violin Shop?

:) Not chuffed.

Hiya,
I looked at the photos & I don't think you have a problem with the bridge, as it's only a slight warp.

As for the soundpost, I don't know of any shops, but you should certainly not be charged more than £20 for a re-fit.

It's best to loosen the strings off a bit as the soundpost has dropped.

Hope that helps & good luck.

Thanks, the strings are slackened as the bridge is actually off at the moment- I had to remove a Realist and I need to do some filing to fit a new pickup to the bridge wing.

Its just a bit annoying as I laid the bass down specifically so the soundpost wouldn't collapse when I removed the bridge! Didn't realise it would fall anyway. Live and learn I guess.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='661956' date='Nov 22 2009, 05:39 PM']Its just a bit annoying as I laid the bass down specifically so the soundpost wouldn't collapse when I removed the bridge! Didn't realise it would fall anyway. Live and learn I guess.[/quote]

It's too late now, but for future reference, the thing to prevent the soundpost falling over when removing the bridge is to lay the bass down on it's back (as you did), then put something heavy on the top of the bass, near the bridge, to provide pressure on the table before the strings etc. are slackened. I used a big amp head for this, on top of a towel to protect the finish on the bass.

Jennifer

Took it into the Violin Shop today and they reset the soundpost and cleaned up my dubious bridge work in about half an hour, then popped a few doors along to where I was having coffee with my dad to let me know. That's service. £15 all in, which is their minimum charge.

He did remark on the bridge warpage- suggested probably a combination of high tension (it's a five string) and cheap wood, but not an immediate problem.