Why become a member? ×

Bass and Drums only

Mecklenburg

Just bear in mind that you *really* need more muscial variation in your sets and I'm not just talking about the use of FX. Having lots of different riffs is okay, but if you want to appeal to people like me I'd appreciate it if Bass and Drum acts would vary the music a lot more.

Either instrument taking the lead, different timings, different use of melodies and harmonies with/against the vocals. Different sounding songs

I've been put off some technically proficient bass and drum acts before simply because all the songs sound the same when you're having a casual listen.

Edited by Buzz

I suppose the only advice I could offer you is to make sure that it doesn't become "Look at how technically good the bass player and drummer are".

That being said the other month I gigged with a band that was two dudes, one guy with a Rick through a fuzz pedal and a drummer who also sang. They played really energetic alternative post-punk. And they SUCKED.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='658786' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:36 AM']I suppose the only advice I could offer you is to make sure that it doesn't become "Look at how technically good the bass player and drummer are".

That being said the other month I gigged with a band that was two dudes, one guy with a Rick through a fuzz pedal and a drummer who also sang. They played really energetic alternative post-punk. And they SUCKED.[/quote]

If your talking about apes fight back, i thought they where awesome. Stop being such a misery guts!

[quote name='MythSte' post='658791' date='Nov 19 2009, 01:05 AM']If your talking about apes fight back, i thought they where awesome. Stop being such a misery guts![/quote]

They had exactly the same problem that people are talking about in this thread. It's interesting for maybe one or two songs, but the gimmick wears thin over a set. It didn't help that they were self-consciously "crazy", either.

[quote name='Mecklenburg' post='657916' date='Nov 18 2009, 11:08 AM']Hi all,
Looking at starting a new musical adventure - well a drummer and I have been talking about it for long enough!
It will just be me and the drummer. Anyone else done this sort of thing before? Obviously there's the doom band OM, who are great.

What have you used in terms of gear, I'm thinking of using my AB/Y box and two amps with different FX on each.
Any tips on filling the sound out, don't want it to sound empty - if that's the right word?
Cheers![/quote]

Why not have another bass player, one playing a short-scale bass. They can do counter melodies and fill in the middle.

Balcro.

[quote name='markl' post='658231' date='Nov 18 2009, 03:50 PM']Lightning Bolt in action - usually you can't see what they are doing this well as they don't play on stages and the crowd around them is a giant mosh pit; watch the bass players feet, that's how to do pedal changes.[/quote]

My god. People actually pay to see this?

No offence to any of their fans but christ, to me thats not even talent let alone music.

[quote name='Balcro' post='659148' date='Nov 19 2009, 12:57 PM']Why not have another bass player, one playing a short-scale bass. They can do counter melodies and fill in the middle.

Balcro.[/quote]

Tried that once before and it was OK but didnt really have a clue what to do back then, more of just a novelty thing.

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions of bands - didn't realise there were that many!

Our idea from the outset included different time signitures, time changes, unusual keys, and splitting the signal with and various effects. I think things are going to be pretty doomy - but I do love the idea of getting all funky in places (A bit like at the end of The Devil Rides out by Reverend Bizarre).
I wouldn't say I was a virtuoso bass player, but definetly more than a root note plodder, the drummer is pretty talented tho.

thanks again.