Why become a member? ×

trace elliot ah 300 fault

billphreets

i have recently(ish) acquired a trace elliot ah300 watt head which i use with a 1048h and a 1153h cabs.. everything was fine until i took the head and 1153 to rehearsals last weekand after playing for 5 mins (not even loud) i COMPLETELY lost any sound !!! i checked my bass thru a guitar amp so i knew it wasnt my bass.. long story short: i took it to a local repairman who tested it and tested it but couldnt find anything wrong but lo and behold had got it working again(??) by pure fluke! i was dubious but it seemed fine at home, so still baffled i went to rehersal 2 days later and after playing for around an hour i lost all sound from my 4x10 but had a very quiet, broken up sound from the 1x15... the light on the head remained on and nothing sounded untoward on either occasion
my drummer took it away to have a look as he thought it could be possibly some dodgy solder or as he put it : a dry joint, he scrutinised it under magnification for hours but saw no signs of a dry joint or dodgy solder ..
i dont know what else to say other than i hope i posted this in the right section and sorry if this is very vague..

[quote name='billphreets' post='655231' date='Nov 15 2009, 03:52 PM']i have recently(ish) acquired a trace elliot ah300 watt head which i use with a 1048h and a 1153h cabs.. everything was fine until i took the head and 1153 to rehearsals last weekand after playing for 5 mins (not even loud) i COMPLETELY lost any sound !!! i checked my bass thru a guitar amp so i knew it wasnt my bass.. long story short: i took it to a local repairman who tested it and tested it but couldnt find anything wrong but lo and behold had got it working again(??) by pure fluke! i was dubious but it seemed fine at home, so still baffled i went to rehersal 2 days later and after playing for around an hour i lost all sound from my 4x10 but had a very quiet, broken up sound from the 1x15... the light on the head remained on and nothing sounded untoward on either occasion
my drummer took it away to have a look as he thought it could be possibly some dodgy solder or as he put it : a dry joint, he scrutinised it under magnification for hours but saw no signs of a dry joint or dodgy solder ..
i dont know what else to say other than i hope i posted this in the right section and sorry if this is very vague..[/quote]

Checked your cables? always the weakest part of the chain

Get your mate to re-solder the jack sockets and pots anyway. The sockets are only secured by the solder and experience some stress over time.

It is unlikely that you would see anything even under magnification.

I had a similar problem and touching up the solder joints worked a treat.

[quote name='Tengu' post='655446' date='Nov 15 2009, 09:32 PM']Get your mate to re-solder the jack sockets and pots anyway. The sockets are only secured by the solder and experience some stress over time.

It is unlikely that you would see anything even under magnification.

I had a similar problem and touching up the solder joints worked a treat.[/quote]
anythings worth a try ; )

[quote name='billphreets' post='655231' date='Nov 15 2009, 03:52 PM']i have recently(ish) acquired a trace elliot ah300 watt head which i use with a 1048h and a 1153h cabs.. everything was fine until i took the head and 1153 to rehearsals last weekand after playing for 5 mins (not even loud) i COMPLETELY lost any sound !!! i checked my bass thru a guitar amp so i knew it wasnt my bass.. long story short: i took it to a local repairman who tested it and tested it but couldnt find anything wrong but lo and behold had got it working again(??) by pure fluke! i was dubious but it seemed fine at home, so still baffled i went to rehersal 2 days later and after playing for around an hour i lost all sound from my 4x10 but had a very quiet, broken up sound from the 1x15... the light on the head remained on and nothing sounded untoward on either occasion
i dont know what else to say other than i hope i posted this in the right section and sorry if this is very vague..[/quote]

does sound like a dry joint, resolder all the joints and see what happens.

It'll be a solder issue inside, that only breaks when the amp heats up. I've had the same and it took two trips to the repair chap to fix. They needed to put the amp on soak test to find the issue. Quite often it's on the circuits that you don't use often (ie effects loop for instance)

After several hours they found an issue with one of the circuits off of the front panel (i can't remember which) which needed resoldering it's now good as gold.

AH300s have an overheat switch on the main heat sink. If the fan isn't running it trips after a few minutes playing.

possible reasons for the fan not running- loose wire to terminal block on pcb, the not very robust mounting of the fan regulator heatsink (thats the small one at the fron of the board) causing a break in the solder or pcb track to the regulator.

Is it a series 6? I had exactly the same thing. I do remember reading somewhere (I think it was in an email from Gavin at GM Audio) that the series 6 amps had a common intermittent fault located on one of the plastic coupling terminals. Maybe ask your engineer to check them out. Sold it on with the known fault before it could be rectified.

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently there is an issue with cold soldering on the inputs on the newer T.E's. If there is still some signal coming through then its probably a minor issue. Check out the guys at BritishAudioService, a short mail describing the problem should get you a couple of suggestions for a solution,