Why become a member? ×

Badass bridge saddle

deathpanda

Hello all, I just got a Geddy Lee signature jazz through the post today, the intonation is fu*ked and the saddle on the A string is missing a screw, causing the A string to be lower that the rest, funnily enough that's the only string the intonation is right on. Just a few questions; is the saddle easy to fix? What screws can I get that will fit? And also, I have never changed intonation before. When I play the harmonic on the 12th fret the pitch is like a semitone lower than when it's fretted, does that mean I need to tighten or loosen the screw? I would try it myself, but I don't have access to any tools right now...

With all that said, this bass sounds bloody brilliant... Trying to top this bass, as far as jazz basses and tone go, it's going to be difficult.

*edit* picture, in case I worded it wrong.

Edited by deathpanda

[quote name='deathpanda' post='653029' date='Nov 12 2009, 08:45 PM']And also, I have never changed intonation before. When I play the harmonic on the 12th fret the pitch is like a semitone lower than when it's fretted, does that mean I need to tighten or loosen the screw? I would try it myself, but I don't have access to any tools right now...[/quote]
If the string is sharp when fretted on the 12th, then you need to move the saddle back (away from the neck). I like to use a tuner and compare the open string with the fretted 12th fret. I generally tune up the string, fret the 12th, adjust the saddle if necessary and repeat the process until the open and 12th are both in tune on the tuner. Should only take a few minutes once you get the hang of it, and you should really do it every time you change strings or adjust the saddle heights.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='653058' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:01 PM']i've got fresh saddles on the way from the US, when i get them i'll post you a couple of height screws for the cost of postage and a couple of quid.[/quote]

Wow, that's pretty handy, cheers. Could you send me a PM when you get them?

[quote name='~tl' post='653074' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:19 PM']If the string is sharp when fretted on the 12th, then you need to move the saddle back (away from the neck). I like to use a tuner and compare the open string with the fretted 12th fret. I generally tune up the string, fret the 12th, adjust the saddle if necessary and repeat the process until the open and 12th are both in tune on the tuner. Should only take a few minutes once you get the hang of it, and you should really do it every time you change strings or adjust the saddle heights.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I'll give it a go tomorrow if I get a chance.

[quote name='~tl' post='653074' date='Nov 12 2009, 09:19 PM']If the string is sharp when fretted on the 12th, then you need to move the saddle back (away from the neck). I like to use a tuner and compare the open string with the fretted 12th fret. I generally tune up the string, fret the 12th, adjust the saddle if necessary and repeat the process until the open and 12th are both in tune on the tuner. Should only take a few minutes once you get the hang of it, and you should really do it every time you change strings or adjust the saddle heights.[/quote]

setting intonation to harmonics is recommended...that is what is being adjusted
the string harmonic at the 12th fret should be the same pitch as the fretted note..the movement of the saddle ensures this
if the fretted note is sharp...move the saddle back...and vice versa
retune the open string and do again...until both harmonic and fretted are the same

its as i was taught..and of course a tuner is a must

Have to disagree with regards to using harmonics to set intonation I'm afraid. The note at the 12th fret needs to be in tune. Sound the open string, make sure that's in tune and then check the note at the 12th fret. If it's different then move the saddle as others have described.

The reason for this is that the 12th fret is not exactly half way between the nut and the saddle as you have to account for string compensation. If you get the note at the 12th fret perfectly in tune, you'll find the harmonic is flat.

It's a small difference, but it's there.

[quote name='7string' post='656619' date='Nov 17 2009, 01:21 AM']Have to disagree with regards to using harmonics to set intonation I'm afraid. The note at the 12th fret needs to be in tune. Sound the open string, make sure that's in tune and then check the note at the 12th fret. If it's different then move the saddle as others have described.

The reason for this is that the 12th fret is not exactly half way between the nut and the saddle as you have to account for string compensation. If you get the note at the 12th fret perfectly in tune, you'll find the harmonic is flat.

It's a small difference, but it's there.[/quote]

Isn't the point though that the harmonic at/around the 12th will, by definition, always be the exact octave above the open string?
i.e. you cannot make a harmonic that is an octave and 10 cents above the open sring - it just won't sound.
Also isn't it much easier to detect beats, or even a small pitch shift, between two notes that are nominally the same than between notes an octave apart?

Edited by Count Bassy

sorry guys..i dont meant to upset anyones way of setting intonation

i ring the harmonic...2nd...since its exactly the octave of the open string tuning..then the fretted
the idea is to get the fretted note to sound the same as the harmonic...the octave of the open string
not using the harmonic should result in the same thing
remember the haromonic is the bench mark....and not the way the octave is played

i dont see any argument here at all

[quote name='7string' post='656619' date='Nov 17 2009, 01:21 AM']Have to disagree with regards to using harmonics to set intonation I'm afraid. The note at the 12th fret needs to be in tune. Sound the open string, make sure that's in tune and then check the note at the 12th fret. If it's different then move the saddle as others have described.

The reason for this is that the 12th fret is not exactly half way between the nut and the saddle as you have to account for string compensation. If you get the note at the 12th fret perfectly in tune, [b]you'll find the harmonic is flat.
[/b]
It's a small difference, but it's there.[/quote]

the harmonic is the octave of the open string...and wont be flat unless your open string is flat
having got the string in tune...with a tuner...sounding the harmonic is subjective...its not the way you play the octave but gives the pitch one is striving to adjust to...fretted
the way you play is with the string fretted....this is the part you are adjusting...not harmonics etc
so the saddle is moved...due to dead spots just forward of the saddle bend...which are dependent on string guages

if you are happy with your method fine!! the objective is to have clean and well tempered upper notes reference to lower notes...mainly all fretted
the layouts of frets is another subject which i dont really understand...

Edited by mrcrow