Why become a member? ×

Any Carl Thompson fans here?

Spoombung

I'm guessing BIGREDX is a fan....and obviously Matte.

I'd really like to own one one day. I'm really attracted to that beautiful, unbroken curve on the bottom of the bass - I think that really sets it apart from the omnipresent Fender design. And I also like the way different woods are sort of thrown together in a quirky, yet attractive way.

I'd love to try one. Although they look a bit odd at first the designs make sense. A much thinner body than usual, long top horn and good neck angle all sounds like good stuff to me. Also Carl's background in repair work/pro guitarist looks like a great starting point for good bass design.

I admire his assertion that he can't really tell you what different woods will sound like - but you will sound better if you practise more. Refreshing advice in a world full of spalted/quilted/bur/curly tone wood that will make you sound just like [insert favourite player here].

TBH I've ambivalent about CT basses. There's much that appeals, but there's also a couple of aesthetic/design features that really put me off. The main one is the 'blister' that the output socket is mounted on. To me that is a feature more suited to a Wishbass than coming from someone with Carl's luthier skills. I understand the practical reason behind it (the thinness of the body requires more depth for the socket) but I'm sure that there is a more elegant solution than the one employed.

Having said that if the right CT bass came along at the right price I'm sure I'd be interested.