Why become a member? ×

Those who had made the trip to the Matamp factory

umcoo

Hi folks,

I'm looking at picking up the 2x12 from Matamp in the next month or two. Do they have all their cabs ready for testing and messing around on? If possible, I'd like to take my bass and head so I can get a good feel of how it sounds and be able to crank things :)

Monz, Tayste? I'm looking at you folks :rolleyes:

Jeff told me on the phone they have a new version of the GT200 amp.So now there is two.It's aimed to be a bit more bassy and perhaps not as agressive.
It would be really cool if anyone could try it and report back.
I would recommend to ask by the phone about the cabinets,i'm sure you will get a real quick answer.I've never asked about the cabs but i get the impression they have all sorts of stuff for customers to try.

I reckon i'll just transfer the money i [i]don't need[/i] from my bank account, into paypal - so it doesn't get used - and start up a Matamp fund. In the mean time i'll concern myself with what i fancy it to sound like. I'm hoping they'll be able to do something so as to provide enough clean headroom...

As it stands there are only 2 of the 2x12's out there... Steve owns one and I own the other as the 2x12 was a design Jeff made for me so I could do smaller gigs without humping 2 4x10s I am sure we can arrange for you to play mine and possibly Steve's as they are two completely different animals loaded with different drivers. Where abouts are you based and when are you looking to try it/them.

If you are going to bass day (Manchester, November 22nd) both Steve and I will be on the Matamp stand with all our Matamps and Matcabs and a selection of basses to play through them. Although I suspect cranking them up might not be on the cards I'm sure we can arrange something :)

PS Depending on where you are based I/we could maybe set something up for you to have a noodle before or after the bass day

Edited by Monz

[quote name='Finbar' post='652207' date='Nov 12 2009, 02:49 AM']Last time I went down (about 2 weeks ago?) they only had two bass cabs around - a ported 4x10 and a sealed 8x10.

They don't really keep massive amounts of stock for things like that.[/quote]

They dont keep stock as each cab he makes is tailored to the players requirements... grilles/cloth/tolex pattern and colour/drivers/impedence

Anyway... have you ordered an amp yet :)

Edited by Monz

[quote name='Finbar' post='652462' date='Nov 12 2009, 11:34 AM']Just about! Deposit-wise I'm done now. Just need to wait for it to be built! :) 3-4 weeks apparently. Out of stock of the transformers. Hm, just a random musing, but did your GT200 come with Speakon jacks as standard?[/quote]

Yes Speakons as standard one per impedance tap

[quote name='TheButler' post='650718' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:13 PM']I reckon i'll just transfer the money i [i]don't need[/i] from my bank account, into paypal - so it doesn't get used - and start up a Matamp fund. In the mean time i'll concern myself with what i fancy it to sound like. I'm hoping they'll be able to do something so as to provide enough clean headroom...[/quote]
if two hundred watts of kt88 power isn't enough get more cabs.

first time i went to the factory i almost ended up getting the head and cab, it really is the dogs dangley bits

His is made to be more vintage sounding, more wadding inside to give him that motown thump.

Mine is a bit more what you put in you get out so I can get the thump, with the right style bass and amp.

We've not compared them side by side though, I'm sure it can be arranged if Manchester is close, still wanting to try my main rig with 2 8x10's

I think I'm looking for a more 'aggressive' sounding cab...can you even get agressive sounding cabs? Whilst I dig Motown for the music, I'm not looking to sound that way. If we could arrange something in Manc perhaps around bassday weekend that would be cool, but it's competely upto you guys...I'm not the one lugging around bass cabs :)

[quote name='umcoo' post='652591' date='Nov 12 2009, 01:08 PM']I think I'm looking for a more 'aggressive' sounding cab...can you even get agressive sounding cabs? Whilst I dig Motown for the music, I'm not looking to sound that way. If we could arrange something in Manc perhaps around bassday weekend that would be cool, but it's competely upto you guys...I'm not the one lugging around bass cabs :)[/quote]

Well I have my own practice room so whenever you want to come round just let me know.

Like I say we haven't compared our 2x12's so can't comment on which would be best for you.

[quote name='umcoo' post='652534' date='Nov 12 2009, 12:26 PM']Monz...sorry, just re-read your post. If anything could be arranged to try these out, I'd be over the moon! Do you know how yours and Ste's differ? Cheers[/quote]

I would say the first one I had made which Tayste now owns has more in the mids although is does the whole spectrum very well including a very HiFi sound if you need it whilst my new one has a lot more in the way of bass and yes it is a lot more of a vintage sound which is exactly what I was looking for... It also has some huge (magnet) drivers in there so don't be expecting a one handed lift :)

I would say if "driving bass" is your boat then Tayste's cab is the way to go

With regards to meeting up I will have a chat with Tayste and see if we can't get together with all our gear sometime soon and maybe have a Matamp-Fest so anyone wanting to try these cabs/amps could pop over and have a noodle... watch this space

[quote name='Finbar' post='652462' date='Nov 12 2009, 11:34 AM']Just about! Deposit-wise I'm done now. Just need to wait for it to be built! :) 3-4 weeks apparently. Out of stock of the transformers. Hm, just a random musing, but did your GT200 come with Speakon jacks as standard?[/quote]

Great news :rolleyes:

Speakons are 4 pin... one at 8 and one at 4