Why become a member? ×

FAQ section?

Alpha-Dave

Hi folks,

I was thinking that perhaps it's worth starting an FAQ section for the really useful posts that rapidly drop down the board (like BOD2's compressor write up, or LFAlex's string tension reply), or other examples like tonewood links or 'whats the difference between a bolt-on and set neck'.

I Figure that there are 3 ways of doing it:
1) re-starting the wiki from basstalk.
2) a designated forum area.
3) a single sticky at the top of each forum that links to the best pages there in.

Thoughts?

D.

I think a problem with the wiki is that it can be edited by anyone, I can see people getting upset by someone else changing what they've written. People might also miss the wiki, if it's a little button at the top of the page like it was on basstalk.

Edited by Waldo

It depends how it would work: just a load of threads in a forum (possibly mod edit only), or whether it's actually organised in some way. Ideally I'd like a list of parts of the bass - or a picture of a bass - then more info from there but I doubt that's feasible in the forum software.

[quote name='Waldo' post='5728' date='May 24 2007, 01:40 PM']I think a problem with the wiki is that it can be edited by anyone, [i]I can see people getting upset by someone else changing what they've written.[/i] People might also miss the wiki, if it's a little button at the top of the page like it was on basstalk.[/quote]

People shouldn't be so precious and thin-skinned. I don't mind being corrected; I'd rather have correct knowledge in the future and I'd hate to think of propogating misinformation.

I think it's a good idea as long as we aim for a diversity of opinions, for example tone woods: Having a link to the various wood recommendation sites would probably be enough, plus various opinions on what worked for whom.

On the other hand the structural/sonic/playing differences between the 3 major types of neck join would have to be a couple of paragraphs, but I doubt that it would reach much longer (that is based on the thread HP started on BW)