Why become a member? ×

selling pedals to foreign countries

burno70

[quote name='burno70' post='645377' date='Nov 4 2009, 03:53 PM']I've got an interested party from Italy who wants to buy a pedal from me.

I've never sold or posted anything abroad before - does anyone know if there are any hidden charges or indeed anything in particular I need to look out for?

Thanks[/quote]

No extra charges within the EU.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='645462' date='Nov 4 2009, 05:02 PM']Woah there folks - hang on.

Sending stuff to Italy is a bit shifty. Recorded delivery is a must, as the number of things which go missing on their way in or out of Italy is astounding.[/quote]

Very true...I heard that FedEx won't ship to Italy at all. No idea whether that's true.

If you can, find a buyer in the UK.

quite a few of the guitar companies on ebay have small print that says that they'll ship to anywhere in the EU EXCEPT italy - as mentioned above apparently it's notorious for stuff going missing.

must be a really bad road infrastructure, they're so bumpy that stuff just keeps falling off the back of those lorries!! :)

Yep, Italy's postal service is comparable only to Eastern European police departments.

Its a risk, and might be fine... but all you have to do is look at courier websites and see that Italy is in one of the highest European tarriff zones, despite not being as far away as some countries that are lower.

I've just sold two units to a guy in Italy (I suspect it's the same guy that the OP has been considering selling to). I had absolutely no problem whatsoever - the payment was received rapidly and Parcelforce had the package (around 10kg) at its destination in southern central Italy in around four working days. I used Mailboxes etc. as the agent - the service was 'signed for' and the purchaser paid for Mailboxes etc. own insurance.