Why become a member? ×

Active bass into Passive input

Jigster

Is it poss/okay to use the passive input with an active bass and not mess anything up ? I only ask because the preamp on my combo, like a lot of amps, has a higher gain/input impredence on the passive option than on the active option (which is lower gain tailored to active pups etc,okay I get that) - BUT, playing my MM through the passive input results in more break up when the gain control is engaged that through the active input from which the drive/break up is less tangible -

This might be v simple answer, but like Chris Tarrant says, you either know the answer or you don't. :)

ive always been told that the active basses would be too 'hot' to run through the passive mode!? So is that right that u can do this? If so it would help as i run active and passive basses and when switching over ive been changing the input lead over to suit (which is apin and i have forgotten a couple of times!!)

[quote name='mojobass' post='645154' date='Nov 4 2009, 12:45 PM']ive always been told that the active basses would be too 'hot' to run through the passive mode!?[/quote]

Totally depends on the onboard preamp, the pickups, the pickup positions (how close they are to the strings), the strings (the more magnetic they are, the louder they will be) and the player themself. Someone that plucks hard on a passive bass will be a lot 'hotter' than someone that plucks softly on a loud active bass. Only use the active input if the passive one distorts.

Alex