Why become a member? ×

Post/pre eq and tone shaping

Jigster

[quote name='Jigster' post='644102' date='Nov 3 2009, 08:16 AM']Hi

can anyone tell me if an amp is di'd with pre EQ setting, does that flatten out any tone shaping twiddling I have done - or does it purely relate to the eq -

ta[/quote]
Generally, pre-EQ means that the signal is taken directly from the input (or after the first gain stage) and hence is the "raw" tone of your bass before any of the controls on the amp.

ta, which is sort of what I thought - what ways are there around this ie. in averting the generic sound of the pa and letting the tone of your amp through? I guess I'm asking, does a PA as a rule totally blend out the tone of an amp? And so what ways are there to approach this: a good sound man helps for one, but it seems, certainly at the level I'm gigging at right now, a guitarist has every opportunity to take care of their sound, (cab mic'd etc) but the bass has to lump it with a PA generated sound you're never totally sure of, which is cared for by a differing range of sound men -

Some that are bothered
Others that aren't.

:)

You can use your own DI with tone shaping, like the Behringer or Sansamp BDDI. Other than that it's asking to be miked up or leaving it totally in the hands of the engineer.

How much of your amp's sound you're going to get is pretty much dependant on the size of the venue and where you/the audience are in relation to the amp and your levels, monitoring, etc.

hiho,you could go the sansamp/behringer clone route or use a hartke bass attack or a mxr di 80 as these have pre amp control on the di side which is useful for di to a PA or for DI recording-amp in a small box.Very useful if your amp goes bottom up during or before a gig.If you have the vitamins for it do away with the amp when gigging and go direct to the PA and get a bit of bass in your monitor.
If you are hooked up to a PA your amp is generally used for on stage monitoring.Travelling light is good.
Mind you a big rig flapping your legs is good.

Jigster, depends on your amp...re the EQ out.

Some amps with have a pre or post DI out switch so you get to choose. I tend to send out pre EQ so there is less 'clutter' on the sound the Engr has to work with.. but a lot depends on how much time you or the engr have to work on it.

I general let the Engr deal with it as he is responsibilty for the mix. Another reason for getting most of your tone from the bass rather than the amp....but that is from the basis that my sound isn't 'affected' with effects.