Why become a member? ×

M-Audio Ozone, Ableton, Latency aarrggh

gilmour

Hi,

I've recently bought an M audio Ozone Midi COntroller with built in USB audi interface.

I bought it thinking that I could record little bass loops and ideas, and then programme drum loops to accomapny them. I have no aspiration to ever release these songs etc it is simply an exercise so that I don;t forget ideas etc.

However I can;t get over the latency problem, every time I turn Ableton on and put my bass through it there is a sligh slight delay, maenaing that all of my playing is out of time?

I've meesed around with the buffers etc but really have no idea what I am doing, can anyone help? Do I need another bit of kit? My PC has pretty high spec, 1.2GB RAM, Celeron 2.8GHz

Help me please :)

[quote name='dr.funk' post='69200' date='Oct 3 2007, 06:43 PM']Are you using the ASIO drivers?[/quote]
just checked

yes the device drivers are set to M audio ASIO.

I'm thinkng I could split the signal from my bass (via DI box) to monitor through my amp,and just play along with the loops. This seems like it will be a more sensible option so I might give it a try tomorrow (bit late now)

But any advice on the proper way to do it is greatley recieved.

Are you doing something to the sound of the input? Any plug-ins or the like would create some latency.

There should be a control panel for the ASIO driver, where you can increase the in and out buffer sizes. Maybe try a different ASIO driver.

It may seem stupid, but are you sure you're using USB2? 'Cos I know people who thought they were using USB2 but weren't.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='69469' date='Oct 4 2007, 12:46 PM']There should be a control panel for the ASIO driver, where you can increase the in and out buffer sizes. Maybe try a different ASIO driver.[/quote]

This is how I got around the problem with my laptop. Sometimes when I adjusted it my system crashed for some reason, but all is gravy now.

First issue - maudio drivers are resource hungry (mine's got more latency than the built in sound card). Yours more than most because you've got midi and audio in the same device. Get more memory. 1.2gig isn't a lot these days.

Secondly reduce, not increase, the buffers to get the latency down.

Third, don't know whether the Ozone drivers allow this, but if you can reduce the sampling frequency. If you've got 24bit sampling, reduce to 16.

Lastly, as already said, make sure you're using usb2.

Yeah, usb is not the greatest for latency, it just can't get the data in and out fast enough. However, they usually have something called zero-latency monitoring to get around this. It's basically just a mixer that sends your bass signal straight to the outputs without going through the PC, so you won't be able to put FX or whatever on it, but there'll be no delay. The ozone definitely has it so you just need to find out how to enable it, it's probably in the software that came with. You'll need to switch off the software monitoring in Live as well else you'll get a weird reverby thing going on.

Hope that helps, post back if you can't get it to work...