Why become a member? ×

All I needed...

Finbar

[quote name='Finbar' post='643650' date='Nov 2 2009, 05:53 PM']That was my 900W power amp running at about one third of its volume control into an 800W cab o_O[/quote]

If your volume control is 1/3 of the way up you could easily be getting full power - I mean really easily, probably full power, not merely possibly full power. But even so that cab is only rated at 800W thermally - as you discovered the excursion limited power handling is much lower!

Alex

I think the general standard of chassis is much higher these days but I always followed the 'rule' of having twice the
power output of the amp in speakers, and even then, I was always listening to signs that the speaker was struggling.

Expensive lesson learned.....??

[quote name='JTUK' post='643751' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:26 PM']I think the general standard of chassis is much higher these days but I always followed the 'rule' of having twice the
power output of the amp in speakers, and even then, I was always listening to signs that the speaker was struggling.

Expensive lesson learned.....??[/quote]

Exactly! The killer I found is when you're running dirty effects, because some of that dirt sounds so much like a speaker complaining, so you can't tell what's the sound of impending death and what's just a hit and happening fuzz sound. That's how I worn out the woofers in my Acmes (octavers, synths and envelope filters are the worst for this due to the peak LF surges).

The cleaner your bass sound the more you can go for huge amp headroom, the dirtier the sounds you use the more speakers you need to prevent expensive mistakes.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='643759' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:35 PM']The cleaner your bass sound the more you can go for huge amp headroom, the dirtier the sounds you use the more speakers you need to prevent expensive mistakes.[/quote]

This is why you biamp, I'm putting a high pass filter in my dual mono bass bridge put so I can absolutely rag my 8x10 with horrible noise. Do fuzz and distortions add lows? Am I better off rigging one after the pedals?