Why become a member? ×

Uh oh....

gnasher1993

I moved all my music gear into the spare room today (apart from my GB rig which is at my rehearsal space) so I could rearrange the furniture in my bedroom and it was quite strange to see everything in one place. I hadn't quite realise how much stuff I had collected :).

I've worked hard to save up the cash to buy everything, so I was quite proud to see it all together.

I guess you want to see the collection now (sorry most of it is in cases)...

By the way...I'm 16 :rolleyes:.

Also, not sure if this is the right forum for this, ah well...

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='639464' date='Oct 28 2009, 09:14 PM'][/quote]

What's the big bamboo flute like thing? The big bore one? Looks interesting.

[quote]By the way...I'm 16 :rolleyes:.[/quote]

Make the most of it. It doesn't last :)

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='639513' date='Oct 28 2009, 10:03 PM']What's the big bamboo flute like thing? The big bore one? Looks interesting.[/quote]

Ok, the flutes, from left to right (2nd picture):

1: G# Bass Bansuri (36" long - it's a stretch on the fingers)
2: F Xiao
3: D Whistle
4: C# Treble Bansuri
5: D Tapered Whistle
6: E Flageolet (vintage - 30 years)
7: Low D Whistle (an octave below 3 & 5)
8: D# Flageolet (again, vintage)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='639520' date='Oct 28 2009, 10:11 PM']Good lad! Keep collecting - it gets much worse with age, believe me!

Like that pink wall - looks like my Jaydee GA24.

Nick[/quote]

Thanks! The room used to be my sisters room (hence the pink wall). As soon as she moved out we chucked all her stuff haha.

Have you tried writing a piece for bass and bansuri/xiao? I play shakuhachi (see avatar) as well as bass and I'm sure in theory it has potential, but whenever I've sat down and tried to consciously write something for both I hit a mental brick wall!

Edited by Jam

[quote name='Jam' post='639610' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:45 PM']Have you tried writing a piece for bass and bansuri/xiao? I play shakuhachi (see avatar) as well as bass and I'm sure in theory it has potential, but whenever I've sat down and tried to consciously write something for both I hit a mental brick wall![/quote]

I have tried but I find it very difficult. I think the sound they produce needs a specific style of writing. I'll continue to try though.

By the way, I would love a Shakuhachi. Where did you get yours?

Nice to see another young multi instrumentalist. Is the sax yours as well?

I won't even try to photograph all the instruments here. There's a music room full upstairs (stage piano, violins, viola, cello, 9 electric basses, one g****r, electric double bass), three double basses up on the second floor, a garage full of rental instruments and pa equipment & a load more in the outbuildings.

It gets scary!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='639620' date='Oct 28 2009, 11:55 PM']Is the sax yours as well?[/quote]

Yes that's my first instrument and also what I'm studying at college. There's 2 altos and a baritone in that picture somewhere, my clarinet isn't in that picture, it lives with the piano downstairs for impromptu jazz jams when my Dad's home from work.

Still yet to get a tenor sax...too common haha.

I'll try and photograph a picture of everything out of their cases tomorrow (well later today now)...

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='639615' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:50 AM']I have tried but I find it very difficult. I think the sound they produce needs a specific style of writing. I'll continue to try though.

By the way, I would love a Shakuhachi. Where did you get yours?[/quote]

When I first lived in Japan I went to meet a maker and had one made. You can get them online but they're quite expensive and they're bloody hard to play at first. Keep an eye on ebay! The reason they're always so expensive is they're all hand made, the price goes up depending on the quality and age of the bamboo. They're lovely instruments though, and on the days you can get a good note out them it's such a nice feeling.

Actually, you can get beginners' shakuhachi that aren't made of bamboo which are a bit easier to play and quite a bit cheaper, have a look online.

[url="http://www.japanworldmusic.com/pages/shakuhachi_beginner.htm"]http://www.japanworldmusic.com/pages/shakuhachi_beginner.htm[/url] this is a Yuu, and for what the pack contains it actually sounds quite reasonable. If you're willing to stick with it it might be a worthwhile investment! :)

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='639626' date='Oct 29 2009, 12:17 AM']Correct:

hehehe! Sorry, just showing off again (46 basses and 10 guitars missing from piccie!)[/quote]

Every time I see this, it just gives me a massive smile - any chance you could get one of those panoramic camera thingies and reveal the full extent of your endowment?

[quote name='Jam' post='639652' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:41 AM']When I first lived in Japan I went to meet a maker and had one made. You can get them online but they're quite expensive and they're bloody hard to play at first. Keep an eye on ebay! The reason they're always so expensive is they're all hand made, the price goes up depending on the quality and age of the bamboo. They're lovely instruments though, and on the days you can get a good note out them it's such a nice feeling.

Actually, you can get beginners' shakuhachi that aren't made of bamboo which are a bit easier to play and quite a bit cheaper, have a look online.

[url="http://www.japanworldmusic.com/pages/shakuhachi_beginner.htm"]http://www.japanworldmusic.com/pages/shakuhachi_beginner.htm[/url] this is a Yuu, and for what the pack contains it actually sounds quite reasonable. If you're willing to stick with it it might be a worthwhile investment! :)[/quote]

I think I would probably be ok in terms of playing it. Xiaos are end blown like the Shakuhachi. The Xiao was really difficult to play at first but I've just about mastered it now and the sound is lovely; it has an almost reedy quality to it.

I know what you're saying about price because of them being handmade, some of the bamboo is really rare. My Auntie had my Xiao made for me when she was in China. I dread to think how much it cost, it's a perfectly straight piece of tiger stripe bamboo.

Does your Shakuhachi have the root ball on the end? I saw one in my local music shop once that had the root ball and it was on sale for £1200!

Oh and thanks for that link.

I don't know much about the Xiao to be honest, I just did a little research online and the mouthpiece is a lot smaller than a shakuhachi, while they're both end-blown, the technique is likely quite different! [attachment=35328:IMG_1966.JPG]

Listening to some Xiao on youtube it seems to be quite difficult to play, but at the same time personally I don't think it sounds as expressive as shakuhachi, xiao seems to be very...straight, if that makes any sense! That said, I'd quite like to have a go on one sometime, they sound beautiful.

With regards to my flute, at the time I was a complete beginner so I didn't buy a high-end one, it ended up coming to 40,000 yen, which back then was about £230 I think. All shakuhachi are made with the root end of the plant, mine's not got the most ornate end but I like it.
[attachment=35327:IMG_1958.JPG]

[attachment=35329:IMG_1962.JPG]

I think charging £1200 for a shakuhachi is complete madness unless it's a really rare one, especially as hardly anyone back home knows what they are! Still I imagine someone will end up buying it.

[quote name='doctor_of_the_bass' post='639626' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:17 AM']Correct:

hehehe! Sorry, just showing off again (46 basses and 10 guitars missing from piccie!)[/quote]

I hate to sound crude but it looks like the sillhouette is sort of aroused by the sight of all those lovely basses!

[quote name='Jam' post='639997' date='Oct 29 2009, 01:08 PM']Listening to some Xiao on youtube it seems to be quite difficult to play, but at the same time personally I don't think it sounds as expressive as shakuhachi, xiao seems to be very...straight, if that makes any sense! That said, I'd quite like to have a go on one sometime, they sound beautiful.[/quote]

I have to agree about the sound. The Xiao has a very reedy sound and with the small mouthpiece it's extremely hard work to bend notes, which would explain the lack of expressiveness. It's a very unique sound, much like the Shakuhachi is unique. As I've said, I'd love to buy a Shakuhachi and one day I'm sure (well I hope) I will.

The next flute on my list is a Chinese Dizi (in G).

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='640428' date='Oct 29 2009, 08:53 PM']I have to agree about the sound. The Xiao has a very reedy sound and with the small mouthpiece it's extremely hard work to bend notes, which would explain the lack of expressiveness. It's a very unique sound, much like the Shakuhachi is unique. As I've said, I'd love to buy a Shakuhachi and one day I'm sure (well I hope) I will.

The next flute on my list is a Chinese Dizi (in G).[/quote]

I know how you feel, so many instruments, such a short lifetime!

Secretly I'd like to learn how to play the banjo too. And the accordion. Saying that it's taken me a couple of years to get to a decent standard on my flute, and 5 years and I still suck at bass, so these two will have to do for now!